1st night in the coop for 4 week olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Aug 13, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I put the 5 4wk old White Leghorns in the coop today when it started to rain. They stayed inside of it with the door wide open well after it stopped raining. So I enticed them out into their run with watermelon and they finally came out to play. Then I went to see about getting them back in the coop and they wouldn't go back inside to stay at dusk. They were hanging out under the doorway under the coop.

Here's a picture of the coop/run - the large human door on the left is for food/water access for me and the smaller white thing is a plexiglass window I have hung down now at night to keep it warmer in the coop, but can pull up like in the picture during the day for better airflow. The actual chicken door is at the top of the ramp
    [​IMG]

No sooner did I catch one and push it through the doorway & turn to get another one when the first one would pop back out. I finally managed to have them a wrangled into the coop and the automatic door closed at 7:45 pm. So I went to check on them just a few minutes ago at 8:20pm when it was mostly dark - they are piled in a corner by the door. I gently picked each of them up and put them on the roost. They wanted no part in it and jumped right back down. It's even darker now - should I try it again or just leave them alone until tomorrow?

Here's the roost - is it just too high or are they just too young?
    [​IMG]

Also - I took the stool out and put in a child's chair for them to have a hopping up point. Do I need to build a ramp inside too?

Thanks,
    Bobbie

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

If it were me, I would go back out after dark and see where they are. If they're not in the roost, I'd put them up there. They're probably just wondering where their brooder box is and why they're in this posh new place! The coop and run are awesome!!!

They just need to learn. After a few nights with your help, they'll get the idea. You'll be going out there one night soon and you'll see that they've all decided to go up to roost on their own. [​IMG]

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

they tend to chicken pile, when their young. I would leave them alone tonight since you tried it once. try again tomorrow it will take a week or so before they go in by themselves and you will have to put them on the roost a few days too. Good luck [​IMG] PS NICE COOP!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    What a difference the darkness made - at the almost darkness they hopped right back down - now in total darkness (with a full moon as my only light) I managed to get all five up on the roost to stay. We'll see how it goes tomorrow night. Thanks!

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    The automatic door opened at 5 a.m. (I guess b/c I didn't get up until 6 a.m.) and this morning they are in the coop walking around. So I'll do it again and tomorrow I'll try to get up before the door/sun and check to see if they're on their roost in the a.m. too.

7. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:I like that run you have there...what are the dimensions and how many birds do you have. Getting ideas for mine.

8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I like that run you have there...what are the dimensions and how many birds do you have. Getting ideas for mine.

Thanks. I like that they can hang out under the coop for shade and protection from the sun. The coop itself is 5'Dx10'Lx5 1/2'H at it's high side = giving approx 50sqft floor space (water and food is inside so that takes away a little room) and the run goes off the side of the coop adding an open area of 105sqft with the total run including under coop @150sqft. We have the five (4wk old) White Leghorns & three (5 day old) chicks in the brooder (1 Ancona, 2 mixed chicks from Black Copper Maran roo w/Standard Araucana hen). I think I might still have room for another 4 chicks before I'd be pushing it.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Nice coop/mansion LOL I love all the differant designs we all have or not [​IMG]

BAZ....

10. John Chicken GB

John Chicken GB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Britain
    Quote:Looks like a 5* hotel . Nice work ! Yes I would put up a ramp with 1/4 inch steps on 2 or three inches apart . Makes it a bit more inviting ! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by