1st night my chickens are outside in there coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nicokl502, Apr 10, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    so after a very cold and wet winter i at last have my chicken coop up and my 3 months old gals can go outside, i feel bad because they are so use to being inside will they be ok, i know it silly to worry but they are my babies . should keep food and water in there over night because i am worried about mice getting there? and what kinda of bedding do you use?

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I know the feeling. The first night my first babies stayed out in their coop I was sooooo worried about them. I even made DH go out and check on them a couple times. [​IMG] But they will be fine. I keep food and water in my coop always, but my coop has metal siding and a concrete floor, so it helps keep everyone else out. You should definately always have water in there. Your chickens need access to water at all times. If you prefer to feed them during the day and remove it at night I'm sure your chickens will get use to that....they should be sleeping at night anyway. [​IMG]

I use pine shavings for bedding in my coop. I used to use straw, but I found that it matted up and the poop would stay on top. I switched to pine shavings and now the coop feels fresh and clean all the time. Plus my girls LOVE to dig holes in the pine shavings, nathe in it, and bury themselves in it so all you see is their heads. So I figure they prefer the shavings. All their digging helps to turn it and keep the poop from matting on top.

Good luck with your babies.

3. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Hello! I'm sure that your babies will be just fine outside in the coop tonight! The first night is always the hardest. We have just simple shavings that you get at the pet store for small animals as our bedding in the nest boxes and on the floor (of course, the girls sleep on the roosting bars at night, not on the bedding). Make sure that any bedding you use does NOT have cedar because that is not good for chickens. Also, we do not put any food or water in the coop overnight because we let them out early in the morning so they really don't have the chance to need it overnight. This is what we do....I'm sure that you will get a lot of other good advice!
    [​IMG]

4. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    thanks so much i will try the pine shaving in there, i have use it when they lived in door i just wasn't sure if it would work for a coop its big and all. i went outside to see if i could hear anything and i think they are asleep [​IMG] it crazy how much you can worry over chickens i am new to this and love having them they are so much fun i just got some new chicks the other day to add to my gang [​IMG] do you know when and how to introduce them to my older ones i know it will be while?

5. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    congratulations

6. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    [​IMG] these are my girls outside at a little over 4 weeks night temps in the mid 40s two heat lamps and they r on the roost next to the window

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I know it is so hard to put them outside. I knew while they were in the house they were safe. Outside as safe as you try to make them their is always the chance. But it will be ok. Hang in there.

8. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    They look pretty comfy out there - and ohhh so cute!!

9. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    They look like they are happy and enjoying there new home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by