1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st night out for the girls.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mohntr, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Mohntr

Mohntr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Last night was the first night out in their new coop. I haven't picked up any pine shavings yet so I bedded them with about 4" of straw put the heat lamp in, we are in Missouri and it hit 40 deg. Last night. When I checked on then at 10pm they were all under the light, went out early this morning and they were scattered all over but nestled in the straw but looked happy. I have the light about 18" above the floor. Sure I'll sleep better tonight.

On edit: 5 weeks old., 4x8 coop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight too...lol. That first night is rough, isn't it??? [​IMG] My "first night" was three years ago, and I can STILL remember waking up many times that night to look out the window to make sure their lamp was still on and everything was secure. I had dreams of the door being open and icy gusts blowing on those babies...lol.
    Your chicks are adorable. I'm sure you've done so, but just in case, do make certain that your lamp housing is WELL secured (I like to screw them on right through the metal housing w/a large washer/screw)...you'll rest a lot easier. And if you leave the straw in there, you might want to mix some DE in with it to make sure mites don't hang around in the hollows... Nice coop! Is the ventilation under the eaves?

3. Mohntr

Mohntr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    funny you mention securing the light, I made a special trip out to put a screw in it after three visions of burning straw.
    I have a larger vent on the man door side, I closed the Eves in with small pieces of plywood keep critters out and putting in 1/2 x 1/2 mesh today while the girls play in their run. Habe a great day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by