1st Post: Bloody Toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenUnionOrganizer, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ChickenUnionOrganizer

ChickenUnionOrganizer New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I have learned so much from the forums on BYC. Right now I want to be sure that I'm doing the right things.

Last night when I went to close the coop I noticed stops on the wooden step into the coop. They were blood spots. My two older hens (~2 yrs., Barred Rock, Australorp named Blackie) were roosting. With my flashlight I saw lots of bright red blood on the roost. It was Blackie's foot. I took her outside the coop and looked more carefully. Before she came to me I think her feet got frostbite. She never had toe nails, just "skinned-over" stumps for toes. It seems like a toe nail had emerged and there was bleeding at the point where the nail meets the skin. The "nail" is not long, perhaps 1/8 of an inch. I washed the foot with warm water. Used an antibiotic wipe on it. Let it dry. Sprayed the foot with Blue Kote. Let it dry. Then wrapped it with vet wrap. The wrap was not good, too loose. By this time it was dark. I put her back on the roost and shut the coop door. I hung around for a bit and it sounded like they had settled.

I had been out to see the birds no more than 90 minutes before returning to close up the coop. Blackie was fine.

This morning I found both birds off the roost, Blackie walking around. I grabbed her. Her toe looked pretty good. I soaked her foot in warm salt water. Wiped it with gauze. There was not much blood, only some spots, perhaps leftover blood from last night? Dried off the foot. Wiped with the antibiotic wipe. Let it dry. Sprayed with Blue Kote. Let it dry. Tried to wrap the toe with a strip of vet wrap, it didn't work. So she has no bandage on it. She is now in a separate part of the run. She's eating and drinking and complaining. I put a white towel on the ground and so far there are no blood stains, just the small darkish spots. She is walking a bit. She also stands on one leg with the wounded foot tucked up under her feathers.

Since I work from home I can check her frequently. My thought at the moment is to leave her be. The air is good for the wound so long as it is not bleeding, right? Her foot looks just like the other when she's standing on both. There's no swelling on the top or bottom of the foot.

We are expecting rain tomorrow and perhaps this afternoon. How long should I keep her separated if the foot continues as it is? Separating her inside of the coop will not be fun. Already there is a separate 4'x4' area for two Ameraucanas (almost 18 weeks) who arrived here 5 days ago. Maybe it's time for them to get more acquainted with BR (who has been fine with them on the other side of the fence)?

Am I doing the right things?

Thanks,

-nancy

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You're doing a great job. I've got a tip to share with you. Wash and dry that toe real good, then paint it with a nice coating of nu-skin, or liquid skin......If it's not a terrible gabing wound, and just a cut, the nu-skin will protect it and she'll never even know it's there. You won't need to worry about the wound, because it will be protected from dirt and germs.

3. ChickenUnionOrganizer

ChickenUnionOrganizer New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks so much for the reply.

She's doing pretty well. I let her out with the Barred Rock to roam in the backyard while I kept a very careful eye on her, actually them -- looking for foxes. She's tentative with the foot when she walks, sometimes limps. She's spending a lot of time standing on one leg. They are back in the run/coop and she's been eating. There has been no more bleeding. Now she's laying down. The two rowdy pullets are in an enclosure in the run. Blackie and Rocky have the run and coop to themselves.

I'm heading out for first aid supplies -- the stuff I should have around AT ALL TIMES! The New Skin I have is old and super thick. It's on my list ...

-nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by