1st post! wish it weren't so sad....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by boogiesnap, Aug 4, 2014.

1. boogiesnap

boogiesnap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    hi all, i've learned a ton on here in the last few months, and thank you.

but i guess i did not learn enough...i left my girls out last night. they were waaay up in a tree and i felt confident they were quite safe.

i lost two of them. one was a black copper maran who just started laying and was the sweetest little thing. she was like a lapdog. my daughter and wife just adored her.

i got her a a gift for my wife as a started pullet, we are not set up for chicks.

does anybody have any leads on where i could find another started pullet? we are all heartbroken and i will not make the same mistake twice.

thank you all so much.

dylan.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm so sorry for your loss and troubles!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

But glad you joined and hope you have wondrous chicken raising times ahead of you!

3. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Sorry for your loss.

Welcome to BYC.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Sorry you've come to BYC under sad circumstances - knowing your location would help in suggesting sources for new birds. You can get started pullets from some hatcheries, but the cost is higher than with ordering chicks and the shipping can be costly as well - so you may be better off looking for local sources, which is where knowing your location comes into play.

5. boogiesnap

boogiesnap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    thank you all!!!

sorry, i'm a bit distrought, of course location will help....

i am in connecticutt. i bought three girls from purely poultry in may. expensive, yes, but i couldn't find anything local. they no longer have any copper marans....

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Don't apologize - it is more than understandable. I would pop down to your "state" thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/55/connecticut - the folks in your area might better be able to point you in the direction of a good local source for started birds. Also, there is the Buy/Sell/Trade area where you can post an "ISO" ad.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your loss, X3 try your state thread for the best chance of finding local birds.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I am so so sorry. [​IMG]Definitely do some chatting in your state thread to see if you can find some started pullets locally. Good luck and I hope your heavy hearts can heal. [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry. Hope you can find another. Sometimes it's better to get a different variety or breed.

I used to raise dogs and often people would come in wanting one "just like," their older dog that passed away. I always told them even if another dog looked like theirs the temperament would be different. They'd leave intent on finding a clone, which just wasn't going to happen.

You might like to get two more hens - so in case (heaven forbid) another is lost - you won't have one lonely hen again.

Welcome to the flock - glad you joined us.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS you need 20 posts before you can participate in the BYC Buy,sell, trade forum. You can get them quickly by welcoming some new members, like we are doing to you. Good luck in finding hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by