1st Rain

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Oct 14, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    The chickens are experiencing their first rain...and they are standing outside in it...why won't they go into the coop and get dry? Are their brains really that little or does the rain not bother them???

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Sometimes chickens don't get it that they should go in. Usually they figure it out pretty quickly though!

3. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Durn chickens are soaked! [​IMG] Part of the run is dry, but where do they want to go…outside. [​IMG] They look like giant drowned rat-bats. [​IMG]

I made oatmeal for them this morning. They ate some of it and I am sure if it was dry outside they would have "skarffed" it all up. I feel so bad. [​IMG] I tried to water proof the pen and part of it did stay dry. [​IMG]

My next unofficial project until the permanent pen is built is to add more waterproofing or rainproof this pen. Thank god, it is only 64° outside. [​IMG]

Well, if they do not get sick, they will be the cleanest chickens in town. [​IMG]

I am seriously thinking about putting in a tiny couch and TV in the kitchen for them. [​IMG]

4. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    We just had our first rain here yesterday, acctually it was a pretty big storm. I do have 1 chicken who does not mind getting wet. I came home from work and there she was just standing there in the rain getting wet without a care in the world [​IMG]

5. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I tried to put our patio umbrella over the coop, but it's not helping as much as I think it should...

...I hope they are AOK...not sure what more I can do? Doubt they want to live winter in a dog crate in the garage!

6. meadrian

meadrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm in California and we had that big storm you were mentioning. My 3 girls' first experience with rain, too. Unfortunatly I was at work and couldn't watch them.[​IMG] When I got home they were in their enclosed run preening away. One was interested in the rain, the other two just wanted to eat. Must say, I was worried, but read a lot of posts that said rain is just fine for them.

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Its the first BIG storm of the season here...I went out to put some treats in the coop cos I KNOW they wouldnt be going out.

So they all ran to the door... "Oh PLEASE open the door HeadBossHen Lady!!" So, I laughed and opened the door and all the babies ran out as fast as they could...went O M G WHAT THE @#$%#^#$^#$% (I have no idea what they said...it was in chicken speak but I got the gist of it) and promptly ran back in as fast as they could screaming for mum. lol The two adults already knew what was going on and refused to go out lol

They all gotta learn sometime!!!

8. meadrian

May 22, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    That had me laughing out loud in my office! You narrate so well!!! I could actually picture them.

Mine got a bowl of warm oatmeal. Not that THEY needed it. I needed to give it to them![​IMG]

9. meadrian

May 22, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I just noticed you're in Silverlake. I think you're getting our storm now. Ours has moved on up. I'm in SF. But you guys get lots of storms, don't you?

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Rain doesn't bother them. Neither does sleet. They're not called birdbrains for nothing ya know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by