1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st Round of Moulting, What can I expect this fall?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggdogg, Sep 13, 2010.

1. eggdogg

eggdogg New Egg

May 24, 2009
    My ladies have made it through a full cycle of seasons, a friend told me they are going to moult this fall. What can I expect and what do I have to do to keep them healthy through this transformation. Any advice would help!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:They'll take care of the molting on their own. An increase in protein can help because growing new feathers is a protein-intensive activity.

3. eggdogg

eggdogg New Egg

May 24, 2009
    Thanks, ADozenGirlz, I will increase their protein treats. What are signs that they are going through the process? When does it usually start? We live at 8200ft in the Rocky Mountains and we have had some frosty mornings already.

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Your egg numbers will fall off for a while. Give them turkey grower mixed with their layer food to help them get through the molt quickly. You will see so many feathers in the coop you'll think there was a pillow fight...[​IMG]

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My moulting girls look like they were at a bar all night ;D

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:[​IMG] good way to put it [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First you will see a decline in egg production. Then when they really get going in their molt, they will quit laying. Look around their faces, that's where I notice the feather loss first - they get the buzzard look. Then it will look like a pillow exploded in your yard and you will think a predator got one. Until you count everybody and they are all there. Give them extra protein, it will help them regrow their feathers. Mine that molted last year took 3 1/2 months before they began laying again.

8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Mine seem like they've been molting FOREVER, but egg production hasn't declined at all (that's the good news). The bad news is that they look like they've been through the plucker!
    Phoebe. Poor Phoebe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Agnes (RIP girl):
    [​IMG]
    Other molting victims:
    [​IMG]

9. eggdogg

eggdogg New Egg

May 24, 2009
    Thanks everyone, that helps alot, they have really started to drop thier feathers, and the egg production has slowed.

I feel better prepared for this event now.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by