1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st soft shelled egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Foxhound lady, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    We got our first soft shell egg today and I'm at a lose of what to do. Its one of our Brown egg layers either BR, BA, of GC it thankfully wasnt laid in the nest box but under their main night perch on the ground.

This thing had no shell at all just the membrane.

They are on Purina Layena and free choice oster shells for calicum they do free range during the day. They also get treats to encourage going into the coop before dusk.

They have been in the neighboors horse feed the last few days though

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    It sounds like you are doing everything just right.

Sometimes when hens are figuring it out they lay soft shelled eggs. I
    wouldn't worry about it.

How old are your hens? How long have they been laying?

3. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    One started laying on thanksgiving BA and the rest started laying Christmas week

The BA's are 9 monthes give or take and the others are around 8 monthes

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. apukanski

apukanski Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    My girls started laying at the end of August, I have gotten about 3 or 4 of those since. Figured, it was one of those things that happen to new layers. I did get one from under the perch i think it fell out while roosting.

5. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I have been having this issue too for about the past 3 weeks. At first it was just the new layers, but now I've had a few from one of my white leghorns that have been laying regularly since last Halloween. My girls also get good layer feed and oyster shell, and free range time evenings and weekends.

I've begun lacing a bit of the oyster shell into their feed to try and make sure they eat it, and it does seem like it's becoming less frequent.

Someone also recommended Avia 2000 Charge, a vitamin supplement you mix with the water, since it could be a vitamin deficiency that interferes with absorption of the calcium. I just got it this weekend, so I don't know yet if it will be effective. It looks terrible when you mix it in - like you're giving them black coffee! - but they seem to like it. I got it from Murray McMurray online.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    It happens. We get one once in a while, often seemingly laid during sleep right on the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by