1st time baby chick owner HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by captainmommy3, Feb 26, 2012.

1. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    My 3 baby chicks have seemed normal for the most part they are active they eat and drink they are about 1 week old. I saw 2 of them today make a poop that was very brown or like a dark orangeish brown, it was also watery, well, more like very loose but sticky. I started to get a bit scared. They don't seem like they have lost any appetite or thirst but i have been trying to remove the dark poos or cover them with a lot of shavings so that they don't walk in it or try to peck at it. I am worried, PLEASE HELP!

2. captainmommy3

Feb 26, 2012
    P.S. They have other very normal looking poos in there but I don't know how often or anything that this dark poo is happening i just try to rid their pen of it asap.

3. CluckGirl

CluckGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    NJ
  4. captainmommy3

Feb 26, 2012
    I am not sure if i am looking in the right place. But that link does not seem to have any info to help me with the issue I am having.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

1 person likes this.
  6. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    1 person likes this.
  7. captainmommy3

Feb 26, 2012
    Do i need to keep removing it? Is it safe to leave it so that i can just change their bedding regularly?

8. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's safe to leave it but I usually clean poop out regularly several times a day so that the bedding lasts longer, myself.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can just change your bedding as usual...no special care needed with caecal poos. They will do that their whole lives and it is messy to deal with, but just a part of chicken keeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by