1st time broody hen hatching eggs

Aquamarine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Northeast, Indiana
In need of advice. I have a hen who has been sitting on 8 eggs, two have pipped, one yesterday and the other today, but both chicks have died. Yesterday the chick had alot of blood visible and never dried before I discovered it dead. This morning yet another egg pipped and the chick hatched this afternoon sometime, no blood visible this time and the chick was drying off and again I discovered it lifeless. I'm wondering if my good broody girl is a homicidal mama? Or are they possibly dying from not being warm. The one yesterday was clearly not under the mama and today it was only half way under her with its legs sticking out. Both chicks were fully formed and normal looking. I've got another broody hen wanting to sit on eggs but I've not allowed her to because of the 1st one doing her job.
Can I swap one broody girl for another? I'm hoping I might have more success with the 2nd hen letting them hatch and keeping them alive. Both hens are first time mothers.
Any suggestions are welcomed please.

Last edited:
I would not change moms but I would grab the babies if you see them and place them in a brooder before mom can hurt any more. just make sure the brooder is heated up warmer then normal untill the chicks dry off. Then reduce the temp to normal.

Back
Top Bottom