1st time broody hen on eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gayle Ambrosini, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Gayle Ambrosini

Gayle Ambrosini Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    NW Indiana
    I have 3 Saxony hens and 2 drakes. (1 year olds)
    Up until today they have all left the house and pen to bathe, forage etc., but yesterday morning the eggs were warm when I went to collect so I left them.
    This morning one hen stayed on the nest while the others went out and never left while I was working in there, so she says it's time to sit. Cool. :)
    My questions are, will she control how many she sits on and push out unwanted eggs? For what reasons do they push eggs out of the nest? Lastly do I need to give extra calcium, niacin or anything else to keep her healthy and happy?
    They always have fresh water, food and good shelter but is there anything else I should do?
    Thanks!
    Gayle

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    She will sit on as many eggs as she can fit, but that means that some will get pushed to the outside, cool, and die, and then the cold ones will get pushed back under her while the same thing will happen to the still- living ones. Depending on the breed, she should have about 8-10 eggs, if it's her first time.
    I don't know that much about ducks, but with chickens, what most people do is give the hen a safe place away from the rest of the flock, so they won't lay any more eggs in her nest and they won't bother her.
    You just have to make sure she gets up every day to eat, drink, and poop.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-fowl-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc
    This is the link to the learning center are that deals with ducks. You should find most of what you need to know there, and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Gayle Ambrosini

Gayle Ambrosini Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    NW Indiana
    Thank you very much.
    I never considered that developing eggs would get pushed out like you said. I will have to separate her because she has 6 today and will have 3 more tomorrow. No problem, I'm on it. :)
    Thanks for the link as well, I'll check it out.
    Gayle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by