1st time broody hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CatMedos, Mar 24, 2017.

1. CatMedos

CatMedos New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    Amissville VA
    Hi guys I'm new to BYC.com. I have been raising chickens for only a year and my daughters red cochin bantam has decided she wants to be a momma and is now broody. She has stopped laying eggs and has decided to sit on the other girls eggs and "steals" more daily. I have marked 3 eggs for her to keep and try to hatch out. My question is would it not be wise to introduce 2 new hens to my group? The 2 have been in a temporary run right next to my guys for about a week.I don't want to upset the bantam and have her abandon her nest.

2. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    I think broodies should be put in their own space... so perhaps you could swap her with the new hens? Of course, this can only be done if the side-pen is safe, vermin-proof, quiet, dark and cosy. Good luck!

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

KingOfTheCoop02 has made a good suggestion, hope it helps!

4. CatMedos

CatMedos New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    Amissville VA
    I tried to use my husband's high powered flashlight to see if anything was going on inside those eggs and I don't think they are viable. She has been on them about 1 week.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I am a hatching novice so I'm afraid I won't be much help. But I wish you well and thank you for joining BYC!!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd imagine that your broody will largely ignore any new comers to your flock. If you attempt to move your broody, it could well break her willingness to continue to sit so it's a risk. If you do remove her successfully, and put the newbies with the rest of the flock, she will return to the flock as the lowest ranking hen (for a while, at least) which is also not necessarily desirable and nor will the chicks be integrated into the flock from day 1. There's no right or wrong way to do it (or most things, when it comes to how we manage our flock) so I'd suggest going with your gut feeling.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with CTken

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under CatMedos [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with Ken also in that in this scenario there is no real right or wrong way and a judgement call is needed. Because of our flock dynamics, my broodies get their own space and integrated back into the flock when any chicks I am keeping are old enough. My matriarch hen has been gone from the flock for 9 weeks, sitting on eggs and raising chicks and returned to the flock in her previous top ranking. I have determined little broodies and moving them has never been a problem.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by