1st time Broody mom, need advices

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaChic21, Dec 7, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have a chicken names White Beauty. She's been sitting on her eggs since November 20th. Her eggs should be hatching in up coming days. I've made her a broody home in the garage and planning on putting heating lamp on top. We live out in New Jersey. Weather is getting to be really cold here. I don't think the baby chics will make it outside even tho I have heated lamp in there coop. I also have 4 roosters, 3 ducks and 12 other hens. Should I move her now, or after the eggs hatches ? There is another hen who also sits on the same eggs time to time, now should I remove her with them as well ? How long should the stay with their mother (s) ?

2. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Hi [​IMG]

I don't have a good answer for you, but I didn't want your question to get lost...you might try asking in the "Incubating & Hatching" or "Chicken Management" category, just because the folks who are very knowledgable about those things will probably be hanging around there.

Good luck to you and your broody girl!

3. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Thank you, I will curtainly re-post in those categories
    thx :)

4. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

Where should I start? Okay, I would wait till the cheeps are hatched and then move them after they all dry. Plus it gives them time to bond with their mom. I am glad yo have a location out of the cold weather. I do not know how many eggs are being hatched but one mother, depending on size can cover 12 eggs. The other hen, is she broody like the "first time" Mother? Where she clucks a lot and doesn't get off the nest or is she depositing her eggs into the nest? But I really do not think she is really broody from what I gather. Did you mark the eggs that are going to hatch? I am glad you are providing a heat lamp in the garage for them because it will help the chicks out too. The mother hen that is the Primary Setter should "mother them", meaning care for them until she decides it is time for them to be on their own. When you do move them, after they hatch, Have water and food ready for them cause mom will start to do what she does naturally, being a mom. You will love being a "assistant" to this first time mother. You will definitely enjoy it.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You should have done the moving before you gave her eggs to hatch. If you try to move her now she will want to get back to the nest she's been on, even though her eggs are moved along with her. She may or may not abandon the eggs if she is locked in a broody home with them. At this point it would probably be best to wait til just after they hatch. They usually stay under the mama for a day or so as she hatches the rest of the eggs; they don't need to eat or drink for the first couple of days as they live off the yolk they absorbed. I've actually moved a broody while eggs were hatching, and all survived. Once there is a chick she will be much more likely to stay on the nest.

The mama will keep the chicks warm. I don't have a heat lamp on my mama and it's been in the 20's for a few nights now. You'd be surprised how much cold the chicks will tolerate to be out and about, pecking and scratching. Mine go back under mama for a few minutes, then out again, and we haven't much been over 50 since they were born. I realize it's colder there, but a heat lamp should be plenty for them. Be sure they have room to get out from under it if they want.

It varies how long a mama stays with her chicks. I've had one that stayed 3 months and another 3 weeks. One day she'll walk away from them, ignore them, and soon start laying again.

All about broodies: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

6. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I didn't give her any eggs. One day, she wouldn't come out of the nest box. I figured she wants to brood so I left her to do what she wants. First time I'm experiencing Brood chicken. I did build a small area in the garage where heat lamp is avaible. Where White Beauty is at now, she's outside in the chicken coop's nest box. She does has a heated lamp there. I guess I will wait until the eggs hatch. I got a glimps at it last week when she got off to eat, and she had 12. I'm pretty nervous and excited for her :)

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The trick if they start in the coop is mark the eggs you want to hatch with a Sharpie, because you will find eggs being added by others, or at least I do, most days.

Hoe it works out well for you. Next time you'll be prepared!

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    thank you, I will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by