1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st time chick mom

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chery0557, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Chery0557

Chery0557 New Egg

Apr 26, 2011
    My hen is due to hatch her first eggs 8/4/2011
    She seems to be doing very well.

I need to get prepared for the arrivals.

I know that I will keep my rooster penned, however, will mom take over once hatched.
    I have a secure area for her and her chicks to stay, but need to know if I need to have a warmer area for them if mom goes off to feed etc.

Do I need to separate them from mom?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I let my broodies raise their chicks in with the flock, though many people choose not to do this. Mama will likely stop caring for them after maybe 4 or 6 weeks and want to go back with her flock. If they havfe been separated from the flock, then at that point you would need a separate area for the chicks to "grow out," or finish growing up. Then you can integrate them with the flock around laying age. Roosters ordinarily are protective of chicks, and moms ordinarily protect chicks from other hens. Ordinarily. No, you do not need any warmth for the chicks, mama will provide all they need, even in cold weather. You really don't have to do anything but give them food and water. Chick food, not layer; mama can eat chick food just fine. I feed my whole mixed age flock flock raiser or grower, with oyster shell offered separately. The chicks don't bother the oyster shell.

3. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Leave them with mom, that's the whole piont [​IMG] Brooding chicks is work for people but she's looking foward to it. No heat source needed...I just gave my very pacient but unsuccessful her 4 day old chicks to raise and they run around thier little area and back under her when they get cool. Tomorrow I will open the door to the broody cage and see if she takes them into the word. She was showing them what to eat last night--it was so cute.
    I also brought home 2 chicks that were finishing feathering out and added them to the flock (yes, you should quarentine, but I was comfortable with where they came from). My head roo and many pullets peeked them a little, but my second roodrove the top roo away from them--very sweet and surprizing since #2 NEVER stands up to #1. So, um, you may not need to worry about your rooster, and I would not bother to seperate them unless you see problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by