1st time chick mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pjprinzo, Aug 21, 2013.

1. pjprinzo

pjprinzo New Egg

Apr 6, 2013
    I am nervous about my new baby chicks arriving. I am worried I am forgetting something. I have:
    -lamp/red bulb
    -organic starter feed
    -watering bowl
    -feed bowl
    -cedar chips
    -metal can/lid hold feed
    -little home until they are ready for their coop

What else do my new babies (5) need? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tricia

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that cedar chips can be rough on chicks, do you mean shavings? Cedar releases toxic fumes that could harm chicks so I would use pine shavings. I like to give mine little treats like clovers, chickweed, and an occasional bug. Best of luck for you and your arriving baby chicks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Don't use cedar chips. They are hard on their feet. Use shavings. I use pine shavings. The brand is called Eco flake. I don't know if that is available to you, but if it is its a pretty good deal. Also, make sure to put a towel over the bedding for the first few days until they learn the difference between food and bedding.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yep, no cedar. I use pine shavings. You can get them at Walmart (pet section), farm stores, and probably pet stores we well. If you can't find pine shavings then get a bag of sand. It'll work great. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Is your brooder big enough to hold them when they're 5 weeks old? at that point they'll need about 10 square feet total. They grow very fast! Also, is your brooder large enough they'll be able to get totally out from under the heat lamp? Sorry, just that you using the phrase "little home" is setting off some alarms.

Feed and water---bowls are a bad idea. Chickens, even baby chicks, have the instinct to scratch for their food. They'll tip those bowls over and make a huge, wet, soggy mess. Better to buy feeder/waterer, and put them up on a brick or similar to prevent waste.

I agree, ditch the cedar and go with pine.

Enjoy your chicks! they're completely addictive [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by