1st time Chick Nana

DuckNana207

Chirping
May 26, 2020
Wisconsin
We have raised baby ducks before, but my youngest son wants silkie bantams 🤪. With the ducks we used a regular heat lamp, but since this has turned into a regular thing (perkins, mallards, now chickens and more ducks), we are looking at buying a different heat source. I am looking at a sweeter heater... Wondering if anyone has tried these?
Also, what should we use to make our roost bars in the coop? And in northern wisconsin, will we need to consider heating the coop somehow during winter months for our silkies?
Thanks all!

I just purchased a Sweeter Heater for brooding! I haven’t put any chicks under it yet but I’m hoping it works out for brisk April temperatures (I’m in Minnesota). I’ll know more in a month.... I’m sorry I can’t be of any more help. I’ve found it’s not super common around the BYC boards but Gail Damerow (of Storey’s Raising Chickens) has used them—they used to be known more by the “Infratherm” brand name.

I started a thread to inquire about the Sweeter Heater vs the Premier One heat plate. You might get a bit more info there!

I don’t have experience with Silkies, and I know they may have unique care needs, but I don’t heat my coop here in MN for my heavy laying hens.

I have used a 2X4 short-side up for my roost for the last several years. The long side up might allow for warmer feet but I didn’t like it getting so dirty. I’m considering changing it to a 2x2 but we’ll see.

I just purchased a Sweeter Heater for brooding! I haven’t put any chicks under it yet but I’m hoping it works out for brisk April temperatures (I’m in Minnesota). I’ll know more in a month.... I’m sorry I can’t be of any more help. I’ve found it’s not super common around the BYC boards but Gail Damerow (of Storey’s Raising Chickens) has used them—they used to be known more by the “Infratherm” brand name.

I started a thread to inquire about the Sweeter Heater vs the Premier One heat plate. You might get a bit more info there!

I don’t have experience with Silkies, and I know they may have unique care needs, but I don’t heat my coop here in MN for my heavy laying hens.

I have used a 2X4 short-side up for my roost for the last several years. The long side up might allow for warmer feet but I didn’t like it getting so dirty. I’m considering changing it to a 2x2 but we’ll see.
We went ahead with the sweeter heater... Thanks for the advice on the roost!

Back
Top Bottom