1st Time Chicken Mama!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NewChicky174, Mar 1, 2014.

1. NewChicky174

NewChicky174 New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm getting chicks delivered mid March from efowl.com. If it's cold when they are delivered (I'll be at work) should I leave a note for the mailman? - I was thinking of leaving a rubbermaid box with blankets inside to keep them warm? Any other suggestions?

My husband is building a really nice coop (he's a carpenter) and we are going to have 15 chick. I've bought a medicated starter food...what other meds do I need to get (for food, water, etc). I love the internet but it's sooo much info!!

Thanks for the help!

2. Deb B

Deb B Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Welcome! I don't know where you are from (so I'm not sure of your definition of cold), but someone should really be around when your chics are delivered. They need to stay warm (around 90 degrees) and they may be dehydrated. They should be transfered into their brooder ASAP and be shown where the water is (dip their beaks in it). You should also check them for pasty butt and clean any chic butts that are pasted up. Good luck and enjoy your new additions!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. NewChicky174

NewChicky174 New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm in Kansas - we're in the country so I'm sure it's not the first time the post man has delivered chicks. I wonder if they'll hold them at the post office?

4. Deb B

Jul 31, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    My post office will do that. I let them know ahead of time that they were coming. They called me and I went and picked them up. That might be preferable to them being left outside in the cold for a while.

5. Deb B

Jul 31, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I don't think you'll need other meds for chics if you are using medicated feed, but you might want to buy some electrolytes like Sav-A-Chick to put in the water. Some people like to give a little yogurt. Eventually you'll need to have a basic first aid kit for your chickens. Lots of opinions on what's best to use. I treat my chickens minimally (I don't use medicated starter, I treat for cocci IF it becomes a problem) so I'm not the best to ask about preventative medications.

6. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    Hello and :welcome

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

Yes, you really need to be there when the babies arrive. They will not survive sitting on the porch for too long. They will need heat, water and food very quick. Shipping is very hard on chicks and sometimes some of them don't make it.

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, call your hatchery and have them put to hold at your post office for pick-up, make sure you have phone numbers on the box.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. If it were me, I would call the post office and ask them to hold and call on the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by