1st time chicken owner in Fl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stephanie M, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Stephanie M

Stephanie M New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    My name is Stephanie and I live in Weeki Wachee Fl known primarily as the home of real mermaids at Weeki Wachee Park. They've been performing for close to 80 yrs in the crystal clear waters of Weeki Wachee spring.

I've owned many different type of animals but never chickens. In fact, for most of my life I've been terrified of them. Somewhere along the way that fear has subsided and I believe will completely disappear as my chickens grow to adulthood.

I have my coop but it hasn't been put together yet because I can't decide how big I want the run to be or exactly where to put it. I want everything perfect.

I've done a lot of research into the types of chicken the feed store sells to decide which breed(s) I would like to get. I'm definitely looking for a breed that is known for being docile and friendly (although I know the more I interact with them they more friendly they will be as adults). I need to double check with the feed store to see which chicks they currently have.

I primarily wanted to start keeping chickens because of astronomical price of organic, eggs from pasture raised chickens. Also my motto is you can never own too many animals.

I'm getting 4 chickens. I plan on giving them some free range time each day. I would love for them to be free range all the time but the dogs would have a fit (They are strictly indoor dogs but do enjoy going in and out all day long), the hawks would lunch and I would be out 4 chickens. So I figure each day I will let them out into the back yard while I sit with them and with the dogs locked in the house.

I'm looking to getting some great advice and suggestions from all the experts here

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome to BYC! come join the crazy bird people! if you have any questions go right ahead and ask!

3. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on overcoming your fears of chickens and diving into our world! Chickens are a blast to keep, each having their own personalities, they can be very affectionate lap sitters and over all just fun to have around.

You might start here in our learning center. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens from raising the chicks, feeding, housing and keeping your adult flock healthy...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Here is a nice chart of the different breed and their attributes you might take a look at... http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

As for the coop and run building....the minimum requirements for chickens are 5 square feet per bird in the coop, 10 square feet per bird in the run. However chickens do FAR better with even twice this amount. If you have a large enough run, the coop doesn't have to be more than 5 square feet per bird. But the run is a different story, especially if they are going to be spending time in there during bad weather, winter or other times they can't be outside. The more space they have, the less stress they will feel. When chickens feel cramped or bored, they pick on each other. And some get bullied to the point of not only injury but being starved out of food and water. So over build your run and give them as much space as you can afford. Your birds will thrive so much better, be happier and live longer.

Good luck on this big journey and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Stephanie and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Best wishes
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Stephanie, Welcome to Backyard chickens. I certainly agree with 2Crows advise - she saved me the trouble of writing it out myself.LOL

8. mjh2032

mjh2032 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Welcome Stephanie,

I hope you find your fear of chickens completely disappearing. They are such fun to watch and they do have their own personalities.

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by