1st time chicken owner.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dorkette, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dorkette

dorkette New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    In April my husband bought two ducklings and I thought It was the best gift ever, a month later his friends brings us two chickens(don't know the breed, they are white) and I quickly learned that I was wrong about the ducks. I simply fell in love with my 2 little chicks(Camilla, after Gonzo's lady hen, and Clarence, I was reading Hannibal at the time) I can't explain how crazy I am about my chicks and of course set out to learn everything I need to know about them.

I would never buy ducks again, I love the 2 I have and my kids adore them, but I will never get more. As for the chickens, well I'm already reading about what I need to do in order to introduce new chicks to our family even though I'm waiting until next spring to get more.

I have a feeling I'll be spending plenty of time here, learning something new everyday.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

Glad you joined us!

3. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from another newbie! Just joined yesterday. [​IMG] I can totally relate to your loving your chicks. Mine are a month old now and will probably move into their coop later this week. I will definitely miss their peeping at me when I walk by their box, so plan to visit them several times a day at their new place. They have such cute personalities and never would I have believed they could be so affectionate! Mine are barred rocks, Columbian rocks, and Rhode Island Reds (eight total). Enjoy!! [​IMG]

Isn't this a great site?!!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I know what you mean about ducks. I love them but I don't think I'd be a good duck owner.

5. epignosisjs

epignosisjs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    [​IMG]
    Good luck!

6. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Missouri

7. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

8. dorkette

dorkette New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    Right now both my chickens are lap chickens. They will peep like mad when they see me until I sit down and then they promptly jump in my lap, lay right down, wait to be petting and then fall asleep. I never thought chickens would enjoy petting or sleeping in laps. They also won't go into their home unless I walk them to it. Chickens are the best pet ever...so happy we didn't get dogs...lol

9. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:BIG Welcome Dorkette, this is THEE place to be. [​IMG]

10. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:What kind do you have or don't you know yet?
    I got 2 Rh Island Reds and 2 Barred ROcks, the Rocks are very docile. But I also have alot of dogs (7) not all their pics are posted yet 3 cats that STAY in the house...have a look and again WELCOME.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by