1st time duck owner, need advice.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by catschicks16, Oct 11, 2016.

1. catschicks16

catschicks16 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    I have a pair of ducks, no idea what breed. I provide them a water pool to play in but what do I[​IMG] do in the winter? They share a coop and run with our chickens.

2. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    I do the same thing in the winter. My mallard will be swimming in water when it's 20 outside so they can handle the cold. But Maybe someone else can give you some more info. Good luck. I love my ducks.

3. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Your ducks look to be Swedish--a black and a blue. :)

Ducks are made to live on and around water. They are a very hearty species of bird and can withstand cold temps. Certainly much better than chickens. Where are you located? We are in Tennessee and have always provided our ducks and geese with open water for drinking, bathing, swimming and etc. Even our incubated day olds have access to swimming water. We've raised domestic and exotic waterfowl for almost 30 years.

The kiddie pools will eventually crack and bust, especially if the temps drop below freezing. I recommend you purchase a hard plastic tub or make a pool. Tubs can be concrete mixing tubs or similar, from Lowe's, Home Depot or etc. Or you can purchase a pool liner and build a make shift pond for your ducks. It can be as simple as a few bales of straw or railroad ties covered with liner. I would suggest placing your tub or pool as far away from your chicken house, to help keep the "run" as dry as possible & so ducks have to walk a bit before going into chicken house, if they use it. Ours have access to barns, sheds and shelters, but do not use them. Best they have ever done is use a wind break made of straw bales. We have even gone out to check during and after ice storms and they would be spread out, snoozing with bills tucked, coated with ice. We made them go into barns a few times, but they came right back out & went to shores of the ponds. Sigh. They could have at least stayed inside to make us humans feel better. :) If you plan on confining them in a structure, I suggest either deep litter method with wood shavings or straw on floor, especially in floor is concrete.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your ducks.

4. catschicks16

May 8, 2016

5. catschicks16

May 8, 2016
    We live in Kansas. I have a old galvanized wash tub I use for the pool. We can't free range because our dog so made a pen/run off our coop. The ducks have access to the coop with the chickens.[​IMG]

6. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Some folks use water heaters to keep them from freezing. Since we are in Tennessee, we don't have long periods of below freezing temps, so we just haul warm water out to them daily. Having their tub at end of pen, helps keep the pen from being so wet and messy, which would be hard on chickens. Plus by the time the ducks get to the coop, hopefully they will not be too wet and transfer the moisture to the chickens. Your chickens probably have roosting poles above the floor, so they aren't necessarily in close contact with the ducks.

Also, you can put down pea gravel and sand in the are the tub is in. You can also elevate the tub on a pallet or etc, to help minimize the middy area around the tub. :)

Good luck & enjoy your ducks.

PINOAK RIDGE
    Call ducks in: Apricot Silver, Aztec Blue, Black, Blue, Blue Fawn, Buff, Butterscotch, Chocolate, Grey, Khaki, Pastel, Snowy, Silver & White.
    Black East Indies, Miniature Silver Appleyards, Mallards and Silver Mallards.

Silkies: Black, Blue, Buff, Grey, Partridge & White
    Bantam Cochins & Frizzles: Black, Blue, Silver, Mottled-Black & Blue, Millie Fluer (Calico) and White.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by