1st time eating Silkie cross birds :)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, May 4, 2007.

1. I've put off butchering any of the Silkie cross males 'just because they were cute'.

I finally bit the bullet and dressed out some older Silkie cross roosters and was surprised by the quality of the meat.
    If you can get beyond the color (kind of purple and black bones), the meat was delightfully tender, and tasted more like turkey (according to Hubby) than chicken.
    I didn't get the 'turkey-ish' flavor, it just tasted intensley chicken-y to me, and the depth of flavor was different from any other of our homegrown chickens.
    I see why some cultures think Silkies are a delicacy [​IMG]
    They are a newly discovered delicacy here.

Lisa

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmmm... so the meat is dark still you say.. I need to get into crossing silkies with like cornish or something. Be a hit in the silkie market for soup. :p

3. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    We go to the Giant Indiana swap here, and there is a guy that sells his silkies to the Oriental market. I know the demand is there.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, its like 8 bucks for a 10 ounce silkie at the market. My mom keeps eyeing my one silkie hen but I keep saying no. She wants to make some red ginsing herb stuffs.

5. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    It has been my experience the Silkie and Silkie crosses have a better flavored meat than white or yellow skinned birds. But this is my personal taste. They also appeal to me because of their proven superior carnosine content, which includes the eggs. I hope to hatch a few bantam Cornish X Silkie this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by