1st time for freezer camp... A little worried!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CrestedTern, May 26, 2010.

1. CrestedTern

CrestedTern Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    Hey All!!

I've got 2 Cornish X that are just about ready for freezer camp... I'm thinking next Saturday. Sooo, I don't have killing cones so I was considering just hanging the chickens up by their little feets on the clothesline pole and slitting their throats...

Is this a good idea(ie - is it gonna work?)? I can probably get killing cones if people think they would make a huge difference...

Also... Are the chickens gonna like flop/flap/squawk/etc? I just want to be prepared!!

Thanks for any tips/advice!! I've got 7 that I'm eventually going to butcher but thought I'd start with these two since they're the biggest and I'd like to start off slowly rather than just jumping in with both feet not knowing quite what I'm doing.

Lauren

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I personally like to cut the head completely off instead of just slashing...that way they die instantly. They still flop some, but at least I know they're already dead and not suffering while they bleed out. Sharp pruning shears or hedge trimmers work great. An upside-down milk jug with the bottom cue out works well in place of a killing cone, or you can just string them up, but then they fling blood everywhere when they flop.

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    They do flap around, but it's not trying to get away, or whatever-- it's a nerve response. The movement helps get the blood draining, so I look at it that way. I, too, take the whole head off, so I don't need to do it later ( and don't risk not cutting the right place). Cones are nice for restraint, but you can easily do without as long as you've got the feet tied well and hung well.

Good luck

Quote:

4. CrestedTern

Feb 19, 2010
    hmmm.... didn't think of that...
    How about rose bush trimmers?? Should work yes? They cut through rose stems well, those must be at least as hard as a chicken neck right?

5. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Way too late to make it by Saturday, but I bought a device called "The Dispatcher" and only sold in the UK. (got it on ebay) It snaps their neck and, to me, seems to be the most humane way to go. No blood squirting either. Look into it. They come in different sizes and some are handheld some are wall mounted.

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    All I use is a traffic cone turned upside down, some folks use a milk jug. You can do it. Time to step out of your comfort zone.

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I use a dog choke chain and hang, works great even for turkeys, plus I slit the juggler. the difference between beheading and slitting is the feathers tighten up when beheading, but loosen when slitting, making plucking easier. it has to do with the nerves. mine usually die with in 30 sec and bleed out well

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:?

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:?

= trying something new that they have not tried before, usually going against every convention that they have lived in their life. IE, butchering your own bird. It will be new and uncomfortable the first time, like when I gutted my first deer, elk, or bear, but it is a means to an end. Most folks hire others to do their killing for them, so killing for yourself can be unfamiliar.

10. CrestedTern

Feb 19, 2010
    LOL Yeah, it's definitely gonna be a big step out of my comfort zone!! I do hunt and gut my own kills but I haven't killed MY OWN animals yet!!

It'll be OK though. I've got till next Saturday now since I just realized that we were having a party today... So I'll still be thinking about what I'm gonna do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by