1st time goose mommy got over zealous with pipping gosling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pips&peeps, Jun 19, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    My goose tried to help her gosling out of the egg today, thank goodness I checked her eggs when she got off the nest.

Anyway the poor little thing didn't absorb the yolk sac all the way and has quite a bit of flesh hanging from its abdomen. The shell of the egg was over it's body. The head was sticking out one end and the legs the other.

I brought it in the house soaked the area in oxine/water and clean the little booger off the best I could and put it in the incubator.

What do you thinks it's chances are? It seems pretty lively and I will watch it closely to make sure I get it food and water asap.

Thanks,

ETA: Any other suggestions on sterilizing or something more I could do would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Sounds like you are doing all you can to give the baby the best chance.

Good job! [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Ok,

This is her first hatch. She is only 1. I was surprised there was not alot of blood on this gosling, just very minimal. It looks like a female......

The goose has more eggs in the nest that are a week or so older that I just couldn't take away as she bit the heck out of me everytime I got too close.

If this little one makes it and so do the others I will try to put it back under her later.

PS On my other goslings that were in the "picture", one of my males has taken up guardianship of them. He attacked my daughter yesterday because she picked one of them up to get them back into their pen at night and it screamed.

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Jean, one of my Delaware broodies did the exact same thing last month. It was the first chick that pipped, and she pecked it out of the shell too early. There was some blood, and the chick didn't make it. Oddly enough, she hatched all the rest out just fine. Maybe your goose will too.

5. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The little goose is still alive this morning. Her stump was pretty mushy and wet last night, but this morning it is all dried up.

Hopefully she does not get an infection. I already gave her food and water. She drank but has not eaten. I even picked her some small little bits of grass.

Live baby live!!!!!![​IMG]

6. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    We just lost her......[​IMG]

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh how sad - I was hoping for a happy reunion with mom for your gosling.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by