1st time goose raiser asking for help

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Ash-Rose Farms, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Ash-Rose Farms

Ash-Rose Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone i got a quite a bit questions about hatching goose eggs.. i bought a pair of Sebastopols last fall and the hen started laying two odd weeks ago.. so I'm wondering how old the eggs can get before their to old to be worth putting in the incubator. and if anyone got there thoughts on what's the best (cheapest) incubator for goose eggs. i don't really have time to Manuel turn the eggs everyday. and if anyone notice that there goose stop laying to to the heat strike

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you can't manually turn the eggs, you've got problem, because the little, cheap egg turners can't handle goose eggs.

The incubators with automatic turners for goose eggs are quite spendy. So either you are going to spend some money on your incubator, or you are going to hand turn.

Or you could allow the goose to collect a clutch of eggs and hatch them herself.

3. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    I agree as I bought a forced air hovebator and paid for goose egg racks so I wouldn't have to hand turn them. The racks didn't work because the goose eggs were too heavy and the plastic just slipped from the gear that made them turn. You might as well resign yourself to hand turning at least three times a day or let you geese sit on the eggs.

4. Ash-Rose Farms

how costly are they? the ones that don't hold that many do that i only have one goose for now?

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Brinsea has an external turner for the Eco 20. You still will need to once a day rotate 180* you do this by marking an X on one side and an O on the other. Brinsea is not a cheap incubator tough costing a couple hundred dollars.

If you can't take on the needs to incubate, it's best to just eat the eggs so you aren't disappointed with a poor or no hatch.

6. Ash-Rose Farms

after raise call ducks and trying to hatch a few i know disapontment. i decided to put the eggs back outside under the goose last i look before i lock them up tonight she was by or on the nest, the coldest its going to get is 42 degrees at night.. so hopefully i might get a few and sell them this fall i didn't pay much for the pair but be nice to get some money back

7. Ash-Rose Farms

How long does it take for Sebastopols eggs to hatch? check many websites but couldn't find it.

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Geese are a typical 30 day hatch. If you started incubating the eggs and she isn't sitting they won't keep growing.

9. Ash-Rose Farms

ok.. I'm about a week away from hatching if anything is furtile. (the goose hardly ever leaves the nest so it's hard to get and and check the eggs) so im wondering what you all feed your gooselings when they hatch... im curently reseeded half of the area so hopefully have a nice little pasture for them to graze on within two odd weeks. and wondering if geese would eat carrot peels and other table top veg scraps?

10. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Ours get put on Mazuri waterfowl starter. At 3-4 days old they start getting finely chopped dark greens and grass we pick. By 3-4 weeks old they are outside in playpens on grass all day and back inside their building at night with food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by