1st time hatch... Are eggs supposed to do this...(Button Quail)

Sunny the Hippie Chick

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Brookings Oregon
I am on day 13 on my Button Quail eggs... I have them in a home-made incubator.. I keep a constant eye on the temperature.. If it gets to warm I open more air holes.. If it gets to cold I cover up a few..Or cover it with a towel.. I turn he eggs by hand 3-5 times a day.. I have the eggs laying on their sides.. I noticed today that some of the eggs want to tilt.. With the small end down and big end up.. Does this mean the eggs are bad.?. I havent seen them move.. Thought I might have seen movement, cant be sure.. Some sites say I stop turning at the end of today.. Some say on day 14 which is tommarrow... I want babies... Im so confused... Advice needed.. I cant wait till they hatch..
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Are all the eggs doing this? I know that when the air sac is large and the egg is old, they will tilt this way. Maybe they are close to hatching, thats why the air sac is big.

When I was looking earlier it seemed that about 50% of them were tilting like this... Then I just looked again.. And more seem to be tilting with the smaller end down, about 75%. The last time I turned them.. I had one egg want to roll back to the way it was. I have never missed turning them.. SO I dont think a chick could be stuck to the side?? But I still dont seem to see any movement... Or I miss it.. I wonder if tilting like this is because the feet and butt is in the smaller end.. Making it heavier.. Cant think of any thing else...?? Im worse than a mother hen... Always looking at the eggs.. Im already addicted and I havent gotten any babies yet..
hu.gif

You can stop turning at 14 day(button quail). Air cell gets larger before they hatch.

The opening and closing of the vent holes is how you should control the humidity.

Temp. should be control with the Thermostat.

What is you Humidity??

Last edited:
No I havent candled them.. I dont really know how.. I tried.. But could just see a brown egg.. I know this may make some people mad on here.. But I did crack 2 open about 4 days back.. One was fertile and one wasnt..
hit.gif
When I tried to candle the eggs I tried to use the light in the incubator.. My flashlight stopped working... If all goes well they should hatch in 3 or 4 days..
fl.gif

I dont have a thermastat in it.. Just 3 night lights for heat.. I dont know how to wire it to the lights.. I also dont know what the humidity is either..(I do have water in there) Just the temperature.. Thats all I know.. If it gets way to hot.. I just turn one of the night lights off.. They each have a on an off switch.. My hubby wont help me with the thermastat, and I cant afford to buy a incubator.. This one is made out of a styrofoam cooler... It has a window/door on the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
warez*sunny :

I dont have a thermastat in it.. Just 3 night lights for heat.. I dont know how to wire it to the lights.. I also dont know what the humidity is either..(I do have water in there) Just the temperature.. Thats all I know.. If it gets way to hot.. I just turn one of the night lights off.. They each have a on an off switch.. My hubby wont help me with the thermastat, and I can afford to buy a incubator.. This one is made out of a styrofoam cooler... It has a window/door on the side.

You might try spending $10 on a good book from Amazon, and reading the *stickys* at the top of this thread.

Google can also give you a very good basic knowledge of incubating.

With all the variables built into the way you are doing it now, it's kinda hard to know either if you are going wrong, or how.

Hope this helps​

Back
Top Bottom