1st time hatcher - humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jasonbennett1, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jasonbennett1

jasonbennett1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I am on day 19 with my first attempt to hatch in an LG still air. I have all the little areas in the bottom full of water plus three small bowls filled and a wet sponge, but my humidity wonÂ’t go above 45%. What am I doing wrong?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Toss a couple of wet sponges in there.

3. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    You know what....I am having the same exact problem. I also have an LG still air with turner. I took turner out on day 19 and tried to Up the humidity but couldn't get it to go very far. I filled up all water trays to the top and added 2 bowls and 3 pcs of cut washcloth, because I thought I had a sponge but didnt. All of that and it moved from around 35%-42% according to my Springfield thermo/hygro., and from 40%-50% according to the reptile hygrometer I had in there first. (I added the Springfield on Day 16 when it finally arrived from shipment.) I am running out of room in my bator for more sponges, etc. If you have more room, add another sponge or two. Humidity is based on surface area of water rather than the actual depth of the water. Im happy if mine stays at 50%. What was yours the 1st 18 days?

Edit: And I am on day 20 today, temp wants to keep goin whacky but humidity seems to have stayed around 45%-50% since last night. I keep checking on it every hour or so, even in the middle of the night when I wake up....which is often. Hope you get it where you want it. I was asking questions last night about this! Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Sponges have a huge amount of surface area because of all the holes. They work wonders. Regular old fashioned sponges with the bigger holes work better than the realy soft ones with tiny holes. At least, that has been my experience.

5. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I'll have to buy a sponge tonight before I go home. I didn't know it would make a difference between a rag and a sponge, but I have seen it on other posts on here since yesterday. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by