1st time Hatcher. Newborn chick looks weak. Help.

CruiseControl

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
I'm at work and my 16 year old daughter is home alone. Says the first chick to hatch (day 21) she helped out of the shell after an hour and a half. It will chirp, but has white stuff coming out of its rear? And when she lets it alone in the brooder, it closes it's eyes and lies there. I told her it needed to dry, but not sure if this is normal. When she touches it, it awakens and chirps again, but left alone, it goes to 'sleep'? Is this normal? Please advise.

Last edited:
I am not an expert, my chicks are only 3 weeks old but about 3 days after hatching i had the same problem, one grew very weak an d lifeless. we did nurse it back to health, kept it warm and gave it water with a pipet and gently placed food in its beak. ahe came around after two days of intense care by me and my dad, though my dad did most of the care as he raised chickens in his youth. For my chick the key was warmth and assistance with water take in although at times i would give it water (one drop at a time) adn it would almost drown itself1much luck to you , ill keep your chick in my prayers

Back
Top Bottom