1st time hatching welsh harlequin duck eggs, need advice plz

Tommy2011

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk uk
Hi, were new to the site and to hatching eggs. And are looking for some advice.

We brought 12 Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. We have goggled it and diff ppl say diff things. We let the eggs sit for 24 hrs (as ordered though post) got the incubator up to temp and this morning we put the eggs into the incubator, What were not sure about is do we need to have the humidity on during the first 3 days??

My mother in-law said let them just sit in incubator at 38 cels and on day 3 put the humidity up to 55-65. But looking on goggle it says u need it on from day one ???
hmm.png

Please could anyone help as really would like some to hatch out.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Thanx

Tom

I wouldn't put the humidity up that high. As it turns out, I'm hatching shipped WH eggs right now too :) I'd keep it closer to 30-40% for the first 25 days and just watch the air cells. Are you weighing your eggs? That's the most accurate way to make sure your humidity is correct.

Hi Pyxis. We dont have ay humidity on at the moment. End of day one. Do u think we Should we put it on? There not turning ethier was told do that at day 3?

Worried were doing it wrong. No not weighing eggs. Was just going to try candling them as thought touching the eggs to much was bad?

Thanx for ur reply :).

Hi Pyxis. We dont have ay humidity on at the moment. End of day one. Do u think we Should we put it on? There not turning ethier was told do that at day 3?

Worried were doing it wrong. No not weighing eggs. Was just going to try candling them as thought touching the eggs to much was bad?

Thanx for ur reply :).

You can candle them and touch them just about as much as you want and it won't hurt them. Wash your hands first if they've been washed but otherwise you're fine. If you want to start weighing you can but you need to get a start weight so you'd want to weigh them now. You do want to be monitoring humidity and you can add water now. I'd say add to 30% humidity, check how the air cells are doing next week on day seven, and adjust if needed.

You should be turning them. Turning is actually most important during early incubation. You let them rest for 24 hours before setting them so you're good there and you should be turning them now right up until day 25 when you go into lockdown.

Last edited:
Oh :( mum doesnst turn hers for 1st few days but not sure what breeds hers are.
Juat got into bed but going ro go add water and put them in the turning cups.

Hopefuly it wont hurt as could have still been in the post and wouldnt be turning.

What does lock down mean. Sorry ro.ask silly questions and thanx for quick reply

Oh :( mum doesnst turn hers for 1st few days but not sure what breeds hers are.
Juat got into bed but going ro go add water and put them in the turning cups.

Hopefuly it wont hurt as could have still been in the post and wouldnt be turning.

What does lock down mean. Sorry ro.ask silly questions and thanx for quick reply

No worries! Not turning for the first three days might not hurt but it's certainly beneficial to do it. It helps the development of the chorio-allantoic membrane. If that's not developed enough it can cause death later in incubation.

Lockdown is when for the last three days of incubation you stop turning, don't open the incubator, and boost the humidity up to hatching levels, about 65-70% usually for ducks :)

Last edited:
Humidity was on 30 when we come though. Now in turning cups and have been weighed. Will make sure humidity stays at 30 till lock down.

Thanx again for help and i hope u get on well.with urs :)

Humidity was on 30 when we come though. Now in turning cups and have been weighed. Will make sure humidity stays at 30 till lock down.

Thanx again for help and i hope u get on well.with urs :)

You're welcome! Let me know how yours do. Mine are due the 20th :)

Candled to of the eggs yesterday (day 5) could see some dark shapes and some vains.

Fingers crossed. How are urs getting on?

Back
Top Bottom