1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st time hatching - would appreciate some help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katie75, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Katie75

Katie75 New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Hi,
    This is my first time hatching chicks, and i am using an incubator. today, day 19, 2 of my silver laced wyandotte babies hatched, then charged about knocking the other eggs around, cracking one so severely, another popped out - a little sooner than it was expecting, by the looks of it! I had popped a jay cloth in the incy, to help prevent little legs from slipping all over the place, but now it is a bit bloody and messy. I have 9 other eggs in there, yet to show any sign of pipping (although some are having a wriggle). Do i open the incy, disrupting the temp and humidity, and replace the cloth, or do i let things be? x.

Also, is it normal for newborn chicks to be so noisy and boisterous? - i thought they'd be in need of a good sleep after the battle of hatching!

Thanks for any advice,

Katie.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would leave them alone and allow the other eggs to hatch.
    The unhatched eggs will get bowled around a bit.
    I usually put a cloth or rubber mat inside the 'bator which seems to help minimize the rolling around some.
    And remember, in the nest they also get knocked around with chicks and mom moving about.
    Congrats on your hatch!

3. Katie75

Katie75 New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Thank you, that was my first instinct, just needed some reassurance! Birth is a messy, violent business!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Don't open the incubator - you are in lock down, and opening it may compromise the hatchability of the other eggs.

5. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I would say it depends on the incubator, I would open it quick and take the already hatched chicks out before they do to much damage. I have had chicks not hatch because they were rolled around too much and became disoriented. Usually incubators will get right back up to the correct temp. and humidity in a matter of minutes if you do open them quick. For future hatches, you may want to try put them in egg cartons with the bottoms and top cut off so that it appears as a set of 12 rings connected, lay the eggs down in it and once chicks hatch, they won't be able to move the unhatched eggs around as much. Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. Katie75

Katie75 New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

I have whipped my 3 babies out and they are now safely in their brooder. As you say, the incy went straight back to its correct setting in seconds. What a brilliant idea the egg box is! I will definitely try that next time. Thankyou for your help [​IMG]

7. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Your welcome! Have fun with your little ones, they are adorable! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by