1st time having an egg hatch...what do I do????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bethrich, Jun 25, 2008.

1. bethrich

bethrich Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2007
    Cape ELizabeth ME
    Last time, my fully developed chick didn't hatch and you were all so much help.

Well, my blue cochin mamma has been sitting on 3 eggs for 21 days and one egg is peeping!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!

But, my friends, what do I do???? Boil water? Make a bed? Buy baby gifts? I ahve laways rasied my hens from day old chicks.

I have mash and chick feeders, so I am all set in the food and water deprt.

How long to I elave the chick(s) under Mom? Do I take them out imeedtaely and put the aside? I have one roostyer and 11 other hens in the same coop, so want to protect the baby(s).

CA some one either direct me to, or give me a primer on what do to??

SO EXCITED!!!:[​IMG]

2. wyandottekid1109

wyandottekid1109 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    NEW YORK
    WELL WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IS WHEN DAY 23 COMES AROUND ALL THE CHICKS THAT ARE GOING TO HATCH SHOULD BE HATCHED BY THEN. sO YOU WANT TO MOVE THE MOM AND HER CHICKS TO A SAFE WARM SPOT. [UNDERNEATH A LIGHT WOULD BE THE BEST] OR IF YOU HAVE A COOP THATS SAFE YOU SHOULD PUT THE CHICKS IN THERE WITH THE MOM.

WRITE BACK PLEASE CONNOR

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:If you don't want them with momma hen you need to have a large brooder box ready for them with a heatlamp...if in the house a 100 watt or as low as 60 watt bulb will do..make sure the temp right under the heatlamp is 95 degrees for the first week, 5 degrees less each week as they grow out...you want room enough in their box they can get away from the temps if they need to...a waterer with marbles works well so they won't drown the first few days, then you can take the marbles (or you can use large pebbles) out...a feeder with medicated or nonmedicated feed, sprinkle some on the flooring of the box to show them were to peck the first time, paper towels down or puppy pads so they can get sure footing, newspapers cause spaddle leg sometimes so nothing with a slick surface... you can change out the paper towels for wood shavings after the first week or so.....Have fun!

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Get a chair, sit back and relax [​IMG]

You can always move mama and babies to a seperate area if you are concerned about something happening to them.

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww this is a sweet story. Keep us updated and post a pic. Blue cochins are sooooo pretty!

We were in York a few days ago. Boy it is beautiful where you live. [​IMG]

6. bethrich

Nov 14, 2007
    Cape ELizabeth ME
    thanks, all!
    I have my brooder supplies from my early spring babies, so the heat light with red bulb, mash, water, etc is all set and a box big enough for 3 of them and room to move away from the heat...I'll just wait for the big event.

And, to be clear, these chicks are muts: Araucauna moms, a bantam blue cochin rooster and a full sized blue cochin sitting on them. A true family affair!

I'll let you know! and thanks, as always, for the wonderful support.[​IMG]

Beth

and yes, it is beautiful here - dry, 75 and brilliant sun today...almost enough to make us forget the 6 months of steady snow we had this past winter!

7. bethrich

Nov 14, 2007
    Cape ELizabeth ME
    Chick number one is here! [​IMG]

baby appeared between 9:30 last night and 9:30 this morning - the mom hopped off thenest when I threw some corn on the ground and there it was - cute, fuzzy and peeping up a storm.
    Mom is sitting on 2 other eggs that should hatch, if fertile, sometime in the next few days - no peeping from those eggs yet, though.

What do you all think? How lng should I let Mom keep the chick under her - when should I move baby to the brooder box?

Keep the advice coming!!

Thanks

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by