1st time incubating advise and tips welcome

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robj, Jan 24, 2013.

1. robj

robj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    We've had chicken for awhile and have decided the try hatch some eggs this year. We're going about this two ways I picked up a little giant incubator and in conjunction with my daughters science fair we're going to build one. We've picked up a lot of great info here on BYC but we do have a couple questions. The main one being once you've started to incubate your eggs can you had more eggs to the incubator? We purchased eggs but it looks like they won't arrive the same day. Any help on the question or ANY other advise is more than welcome!!!
    Thank You

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

You can do staggered hatches, but it's a little complicated as you'll have to up the humidity and stop turning the first batch of eggs before the second batch is ready for lockdown. In this type of situation it would be better if you have a second incubator that you can move the first batch of eggs into for lockdown and hatch.
    You can store eggs for a few days before setting them, if your second batch will arrive soon after you got the first batch? Then you can set them on the same day.

Here's a very good article on hatching eggs with a section on shipped eggs that I think you'll find helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

and some more on storing eggs if you want to consider waiting a bit:

http://www.pasreform.com/academy/fr...atching-eggs/16-storage-of-hatching-eggs.html

Good luck with your hatch!

3. robj

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    Thank you! The articles came in handy we will defiantly have our work cut out for us. We have the store bought incubator and picked up all the supplies to build one I think see a second build on the horizon. We have a seafood company near us that sold us a nice size ice chest for $3.00 and rest of the supplies are easy to get and it was fun to build.
    Thanks again for your help

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Having a second incubator as a hatcher would be great, if you're going to build one. Lucky you with that ice chest!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Good Luck!! [​IMG]

6. robj

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    Thank you

7. welly

welly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Red Sox nation MA.
    Hello
    Total newbie we are looking to purchase a bator.I found a little giant bator at tsc.I was wondering what the pros think.I have a budget of 200.00 I will only hatch about 12 eggs a year.I don't wana risk the hatch rate because I don't have a quality machine any thoughts please any suggestions would be great.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I use an LG bator, and I love it! Alot of people complain that they are pretty cantankerous about maintaining temps, but as long as I keep mine in a place where the temp stays relatively stable it does great. The Little Giant probably is at the low end in terms of quality though. If you have a $200.00 budget, I'm sure you could probably do better, but I paid $45 for mine and it was well worth every penny. Gets the job done and hatches my eggs just fine (and I hatch WAY more than 12 chicks a year in it). Good luck!
    Nikki

9. welly

welly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Red Sox nation MA.
    Nikki
    Thanx for your input I will consider everyone's idea and thoughts I don't wanna buy to fast and wish I did something else.

10. robj

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    Cooler-Bator done and acclimated, eggs in on Monday. We started Wheaten Marans,Golden Salmon Marans (combo of 9) shipped in eggs, 12 Birchen Marans bought locally, and 14 silkies shipped in. A lot of doubts on the silkies due to possible age and definite shipping issues. Science fair project is to find out the difference in hatch rate between locally purchased and eggs shipped from out of state. If all goes well we should have some cool new additions. I'll try and get pics in soon. Fun Project to build now Kayla gets to do all the work. Thanks again for all the info, ideas and help it is all most appreciated!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by