1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st Time Incubating, Detached Air Sacs, Final Update on Detached eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bustermommy, Oct 23, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    So, if you are candling an egg, and there appears to be a floating bubble (moving when you tip the egg around), that is a detached air sac, correct?

Should I bother to set these just in case (there's plenty of room in my bator)?

Is there any chance they can reattach?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  3. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks Pete. I read your post on managing weight and humidity, and have weighed my eggs, and calculated expected weight loss. I really like the idea that I can kind of see how things are going and if they're on schedule. I'll save this one too. This is my first hatch, so I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time. [​IMG]

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Im sure you are nervous and excited but I'll subsribe to this thread to see how you're going. Also dont forget there's lots of experienced other members who'll give you adivice and encouragement [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

5. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    I dont have advise but keep us updated!

6. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    So, they sat for 24 hours, then went into the incubator at 100 deg. at 5 pm today. The detached air sac eggs are positioned vertically in egg carton cups and the others are laying horizontally in the lids. The humidity is a little high, but the plug is out, so hope it will lower pretty quickly. I turned the horizontal eggs after 4 hours, the only turn they got today as I went to bed after that. I left the vertical ones alone, per pete55's damaged air sac instructions (great instructions by the way; easy even for 1st timers to understand).

[​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    some of mine that i ordered through mail were 10-11 days old due to the post office messing things up. everyone thought i should just toss them but at day 5, 13 look good, one looks like a blood ring, and 4 appear to be duds (i also have 3 of my marans eggs that i cant see a thing in them). i have about 6 (as i havent counted to see how many) that are the 10-11 day olds. i havent tossed any and wont till at least day 10 which will be friday. i must say i am glad i didnt toss any of the eggs. wish i could get pics but my cam doesnt seem to take good pics of candled eggs.

8. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    So, I got 8 more eggs in the mail today. Denver is having a cold spell and my incubator is having a hard time keeping up. I knew the house wasn't a good temp for keeping the new eggs for the 24 hours (too cold without heat, too hot with) and since none appeared to have detached air sacs or been traumatized (yeah, I know you can't always tell), I stuck them in the incubator too. They should be hatching about 3 days apart.

I recandled a couple of the eggs with detached sacs and it looks like 1 had reattached and the other was better, but not totally stable yet. I'm not going to candle them again until after the 48 hours of no turning (and when it's warmer so they and the incubator doesn't cool off too much). Then, I figure I'll candle them all again and see how they're doing.

I am assuming that the colder temp is going to slow down hatching a little bit, but hopefully not damage them so badly they don't hatch at all. The incubator is running the heater all the time and my thermometers say between 96 and 98. I can't get it higher. On the other days, it's been 99-100. Keeping the humidity stable has been hard too as it snowed all day today and that changed the humidity of the air impacting the humidity inside the bator.

I'm stlll hoping, though. This season is a little ambitious for a first timer, I think, then I have to add the complications. [​IMG]

9. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Burr for you in the Denver area!
    When I do winter hatches in my poorly insulated house, I will wrap the incubator with a blanket, being very careful to not cover the heater (fire issues) or the vents (Oxygen issues). It seems to help.

10. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Yes, thank you. I'm sure it will get cold again and I will think to do this. My husband is convinced at least half will hatch because "where are we going to put all these chickens when we add those too." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by