1st time incubating...rotten egg smell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carolynb, Sep 2, 2009.

1. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    We are on day 13 and it's smelling pretty funky. We are incubating mostly Marans eggs. Will we be able to candle them? Most of them are pretty dark. I don't want to take them out if we wont be able to see anything. Would I be able to smell the eggs...or will they all smell weird because they are in the same incubator? Any help would be much appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I have never smelt my eggs while incubating, nothing that smells rotten anyway. There is one time I was smelling an egg, turns out it had a slight crack and was oozing some. You might check your eggs for one with a crack.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get an LED Lenser (available at Home Depot) I candled Maran's eggs with them.

CAREFULLY find the offender, put it CAREFULLY into a plastic bag and DISCARD!. Usually the rotton ones will break easily and they can contaminate and kill the rest.

I've had more than one rotten one break/explode in my hand. Be careful.

4. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Thanks, Mahonri!! I am so glad I posted this question. I'll pick up a LED Lenser today...do you know if they are expensive?

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

em, a simple cheap US$ 2 led torch with 5 led can be use very effective to see through the eggs shell. that's what i experienced in candling. [​IMG]

6. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Thank you, mulia24! Are you using it for dark eggs? The eggs we are incubating are marans eggs and are pretty dark.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Can you smell test them? Last time I had a rotten egg, it fortunately was oozing so it was easy to ID. But it definitely smelled strong--the whole incubator stunk, but when I pulled that one out and smelled it, it was NASTY. Removed it, smell went away, happy ending. Might be worth a try.

8. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    I haven't tried it yet...I was hoping to be able to do that so I don't disrupt the incubating too much. I'll give that a shot first. Thank you everyone for your help....I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! It's helped me out so much, so far [​IMG]

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, i've tested it with a duck egg (it's really dark this one) and i found that that's only black and no movement, i'm not sure then i'm using smell test (like curiouscat said to you) and i found that the egg smell bad (believe me that smell nasty odor [​IMG] ) and i "break" it by throwing it to a safe area that my girls and dog can't reach and i found that the egg really failed fully covered by "juicy" white liquid thing and the smell become worse after break so i suggest you to throw them a bit far if you find it "smelly bad odor".

first: candling, not sure of it? take second step.

second : smelling, not sure? let it in bator 2-3 days more. sure it failed? throw it away and watch what's inside that egg for gain more experience only what is the "ingredient of smelly/failed egg".

hope for your lucky in setting. [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd do the sniff test ASAP and remove the bad egg right away. If it pops it'll mess your other eggs up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by