1st time outside for our chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Decided to give our 2+ week old Leghorns a little stretching room outdoors. Set up a temporary day run with tomato cages & chicken wire to be used with close supervision and got all their stuff out there for them. My 10 yr old wanted to be with them so he sat inside there for over an hour! HAHA! They loved it - I can't wait to finish their coop so they can just stay outside. It felt sad to bring them back indoors they were having so much fun scratching and pecking stuff.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Aww so cute! I remember my babies first time outside just a little while ago. What breed of chickens do you have?

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:So far we just have the 5 White Leghorns - but we do have 4 eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch on 8-11 - 1 ameraucana/Araucana mix, 2 Ancona and 1 Wheaten Penedesenca - they are all that are left of an eBay order that arrived during the hottest part of July. We just started getting into chickens - already my DH has said we should get more "just to fill up our coop". I think he's enjoying them too. His grandfather was a chicken farmer and I think DH likes the connection.

What do you have? Wait - don't answer that - I saw your BYC page - you have quite a list of breeds and ages! Looks like a great flock.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. cluckcluckboom

cluckcluckboom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    those are HUGE for 2 wks old. good lookin chicks tho. our leghorns were born 7/18-7/23 and are only half that size
    congrats:thumbsup

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:So far we just have the 5 White Leghorns - but we do have 4 eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch on 8-11 - 1 ameraucana/Araucana mix, 2 Ancona and 1 Wheaten Penedesenca - they are all that are left of an eBay order that arrived during the hottest part of July. We just started getting into chickens - already my DH has said we should get more "just to fill up our coop". I think he's enjoying them too. His grandfather was a chicken farmer and I think DH likes the connection.

What do you have? Wait - don't answer that - I saw your BYC page - you have quite a list of breeds and ages! Looks like a great flock.

[​IMG] Yes indeed I do!!! [​IMG]

Thank you for saving me the time!! [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:They are growing FAST - we noticed them feathering out early and then get bigger almost overnight. Congrats on your Leghorns too. They're so funny to watch. My son actually spent time away from his DSi yesterday to watch the chicks - a rare occurance.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Today it is raining outside and they are really active and chirping much louder then usual - I think they miss the outside [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by