1st time to have a broody hen...help please

Melanie 11

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Athens
My friend put some chickens on our property about a year ago. Well I got chicken fever and have 42 ten week old chicks. The point is one of his hen's has gone broody.
wee.gif
. I have some eggs in the fridge. I would like to put them under her. Do I need to take them out of the fridge to get to room temp before placing under her? She is sitting on 5 eggs. Only one is fertilized. She is in the pen with a batam coshin roo, coshin hen & 3 leghorns. The roo tries to mate with all his girls
love.gif
but I think the coshin is the only one he really gets. My friend has others hens in a pen with fertilized eggs. I am so excited
woot.gif
. She by the way is a Wandotte. She has been in the nest all day. Usually I can pick her up or pet her....not today. How many eggs should I put under her.

If you can get a dozen fertile eggs put them under her. That is if you want that many chicks. I know 100 percent hatch rate might not happen but as sure as you didn't want that many it would. If it is still in the first day or two of her sitting I would look around and see if I could find some fertile eggs of a breed I really wanted. You have a few days and you will know if she is really serious and if she is in about 3 weeks you will have some chicks you really want. Just my 2 cents.

Kenny

Yes, if they are in the fridge, let them come up to room temp before you put them under her, and mark them with a Sharpie if she will set in the coop.

Good luck!

D.gif
Some of the eggs she is sitting on now are not fertile. The little coshin roo has trouble getting on the bigger hens. Thanks for the advice. She will be a great mama. I'll let you know how it goes
pop.gif

I suggest you read this thread. It might help you.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

If you decide to not isolate her, you need to mark all the eggs you want her to hatch and check under her daily to remove all the other eggs. I use a Sharpie. Sometimes other hens will lay with a broody.

You need to start all fertile eggs at the same time. If you start them at different times, the hen will abandon the nest after the first ones hatch and the later eggs will die.

Don't be too surprised if that little rooster is more successful than you think. This thread shows how to tell if an egg is fertilile. You have to break the egg to be able to tell, but if most of the leghorn eggs you crack are fertile, the ones under the broody might be. If you can't see anything, the bull's eye might be on the bottom of the egg. You can try to gently turn it over with a spoon.

Fertile Egg Photos
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

Good luck! It is an excitinbg time!

I would get some fertile eggs under her within the next day or two, 10-12 clean, unwashed and (preferable) eggs that have not been in the fridge. I have 3 broodies right now 2 of them go broody about4- 5 xs a year. ( Both are over 3 yrs old!) I put a small bowl of feed and water near her. As the hatch day comes near I place a small bit of screen across the bottom of the nest box to prevent fall out. After a day or 2 I put them in their own area w Mum and slowly let her intergrate them. I would mark them with a pencil as others may try to lay in her box. Good luck

:clapHoney built a broody box for my girl. We moved her yesterday. She has a nice box with a small run. we put her on 12 eggs. Last night she pushed 4 out. So I removed them. I have food & water beside her. She has not eaten or drank anything since Friday. With this heat (high 90"s) I worry about her health. Should I take her off the nest or leave her to do what she wants? I am so excited to see what or how many hatch:weee. Thanks so much for the advice. Love love love BYC.

Checked on my girl this afternoon, she came out and got some water & had a huge poop:lol: She is doing great!!! Again thanks so much for all your help
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom