1st time treatig Sour Crop...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OMG!!! EEEEWWWWW!

I never knew a crop could hold that much, let alone smell like that. I looked up Shania's symptoms on here and came up with sour crop, which looks like an accurate diagnosis. Sluggish, lime green poop, very soft and enlarged crop. I didn't know at the time to check her breath but that was knarly too when I went out to treat her.

For those of you with experience in this area, how many 'treatments' (holding her inverted and getting all that liquid out) does it usually take to cure Sour Crop and when should I start to worry? This seems like a fairly common thing but this has definantly been a unique event for me.

And I will definantly be more careful giving the ladies leafy greens in the future. [​IMG]

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I would be very careful using that procedure. I had luck with olive oil soaked pieces of bread, massaging the crop and ACV in the water.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:I'm trying to be careful. I tipped her as little as possible to get it to come out and was making sure to tip her up frequently so she could breath ok. I was just kinda freaked with how full her crop was. I don't know at what point it crosses the line from sour crop to septic for the whole bird. It didn't help that she hadn't moved an inch since I opened the coop door that morning. 'Sluggish' is an understatement in her case. I opened the door at around 730 this morning and it was about 2pm when I checked again. She literally hadn't even turned around. She was just sitting on her perch looking unhappy.

*Grammer Edit

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, I tracked down the ACV and added it to both waterers. Now lets just hope she's still drinking... [​IMG]

I'll try and get some olive oil into her, but it may get interesting. I tried giving her some plain bread earlier (before I knew what she had) and she ate one tiny piece out of four pieces I offered her. She has made no other moves to eat either. She hasn't even looked at the feeder from what I have seen.

5. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Not drinking is a major problem. When you feel her crop now is it empty.....no hardness in there?
    I would try to get some water with the ACV (helps to lower the ph)or some electrolytes in her. Does she have any other signs?
    I had to put a little water along my hens beak and she would drink that. If you put any in her mouth, be careful of getting it in her windpipe.
    Good luck with her....

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I didn't feel anything hard in her crop and everything that came out was a thick clear liquid. There were two or three little green/black chunks that came out but otherwise it felt like a balloon loosly filled with pudding. Very soft and squishy. It just felt flatter after it drained. When my DH gets home we're going to eye dropper some olive oil and ACV water into her and see if we can get some more of the crud out before that. He should be home in an hour or so. Here's hoping they don't keep him in the office too much longer...

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Hope she's ok but [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, DH and I went out to try and empty out whatever was left and get some olive oil and water in her. Well, we accomplished our goal but I noticed a GIANT lump in there that I somehow missed last time. I guess it shifted up from whereever it was hiding. I called the vet; we have an 830 appointment. If there hadn't been a lump I would have kept trying to treat it ourselves but that was one solid wad of something. And it's blocking us from getting any more of the liquid out to boot; it's acting like a plug both ways.

And it can't just be the arugala I gave them either; even if she'd gotten it all (which she didn't, she's second from the bottom in the pecking order and not as enthusiastic as the others about greens) she wouldn't have gotten that much of a lump. So there's something else in there and I have no idea what. There's no grass in their run or anything similar. [​IMG] Whatever is in there might not even be digestible. Our back yard seems to be at one of those nexuses where all the trash that blows around ends up here at some point.

9. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Is the lump "massageable"?? Can you get quite a bit of olive oil in her and water (using an eye dropper) and gently massage ALOT?!!? It seems that if it's acting as a plug, if you can move it up a bit, at least the water and oil might get by some and give her some hydration and calories. The massage might also losen the lump up. Just a thought.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:I don't think massage is going to do anything with this. We were massaging it when were were trying to get more fluid out, both before and after we gave her some olive oil and water. It moved up and down a bit but it didn't change shape or loosen up at all. I'm thinking we may try ourselves one more time in the morning. Maybe if the olive oil has a chance to soak in it will help. But she's in not in good shape. When we'd set her down she'd half fall over and then right herself. She didn't want to walk at all, she'd sit down right where we left her. She has gotten a bit better after we eye-droppered the water and oil into her (she actually walked across the run to the feeder and ate some) but that lump's still there and I have a feeling we'll be back to square one in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by