1st Time w/ Broilers, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mylilchix, Aug 15, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I just ordered 25 CRs from Welp, and they arrive sometime after September 3. On Welp's website they have feeding suggestions. I was thinking of following their recommendations, but I'm considering starting them on a week or 2 of chick starter to keep them healthy. What's the best way to care for these little guys, so they get big and fat yet stay healthy?

Thanks, Sonja

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I dont know what whelp says to do but I started mine on medicated starter for 2 weeks,then onto the meatbird..they dressed out at just over 5lbs at 8 weeks,and that is cut up,minus the back..I didnt loose any and they were moved outside at 4 weeks..

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We start our white broilers on Homestead Turkey Starter at 1 lb per bird. Then we finish them on Homestead Fast Grow broiler feed. We butcher our birds at 8 to 10 weeks of age depending on the size of the birds and what we want.

We also have feed in front of the all the time as well as a fan to provide adequate ventilation for cooling.

Jim

4. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I started my 31 Cornish X on Dumor unmediated starter/grower 20% for 2 weeks then switched them over to Dumor starter 24%. I used the method of 12hrs with food, 12hrs without food. I move the tractor in the morning and take the food away. I feed them in the evening. They have the food from approximately 6pm to at least 6am. They get fresh water twice a day. For the last 10 or so days, I have been feeding them about a pound of cracked corn daily. This weekend I plan on processing up to half of them. At 6 weeks they are approximately 6 -7 lbs live weight. Currently they are eating 16 - 20lbs of food daily.

5. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:wait, they only eat food from6pm to 6am and they're eating half a pound a day?!? OK, stupid newbie question time, but I thought they sleep at night!

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Some folks leave lights on 24 hours a day for faster growing. So far with my Cornish X I have them in a open hutch under the trees (6 birds) fed medicated crumbles for 3 weeks and that 4th week mixing medicated with plain crumbles. Now I have cal-grow (?) pellets for the last 2 weeks. The birds look about 6-7 lbs each at this point (Alive).
    They are able to jump, run and no sweating or turning blue from heart problems. I will put the light on 24 hours for the last 8 days to let them gain fat or meat.
    I do have one x that is really small, she is about 3 or 4 lbs alive.
    I chose the foods that I did so there was no animal byproducts in them. Broiler feed often has ground feathers and chicken parts in it. I say no!!!!!!!!!! ewwwww. I want plant proteins instead- for example grass is a high protein food, so isn't lentals, soy and other grains.
    Good luck on either direction you go, I can't wait to try one of these buggers!
    Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide to do. ~kel

7. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Quote:wait, they only eat food from6pm to 6am and they're eating half a pound a day?!? OK, stupid newbie question time, but I thought they sleep at night!

To clarify:
    Last sentence of my message: Currently they are eating 16 - 20lbs of food daily. They get approximately 1lb of cracked corn as a treat during the day.

And yes the food bin is close to being empty. I feed them at night because their body temperature is elevated when they are eating and this keeps them cooler during the hot weather of summer. They do sleep at night, they just eat pretty quickly....hungry chickens.

8. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    from about 4 weeks on mine have pretty much had food 24/7 and I havent had any problems,..even with the heat and humidity here,they have been fine,they are housed under three young cottonwood trees for shade and also a old grainwagon if they want to go under it..they have water in a five gallon feed tub and refilled daily..the meatbird they are on is like 27% protien..and they get greens from the garden,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by