1st Time with a "Broody" and now there's babies!Update Pics Added!!!!

Mourningdove

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Cleveland, Tn.
I set about 10 eggs in my game hens nest awhile back in the hopes that she would go broody......she did start setting tho I wasn't sure
the day she actually got serious with it.....well this morning when I went to feed I hear 2 chicks hollering like they were cold...I looked in and saw 2 of the cutest little babies who had fallen out of the nest and couldn't get back in with momma talking to them....momma however won't leave the nest as I am sure more babies are hatching, she is taking her motherhood seriously!
lol.png
I am so excited
wee.gif

because I have never had a broody hen before
celebrate.gif

So I will have to go and get some straw, food & water to take out there for momma & babies
ya.gif

Now I am also waiting on the 7 silkies that are in the bator due to hatch today!!!! Spring is AWSOME!!! Gosh I
love.gif
little fuzzy butts
jumpy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That so cool! My first broody hatched out 5 chickes last week! Good luck to you and the new mommy!!! Congrads Grandma! LOL

Chicken Girl

Congratulations! I'll bet mamma was very pleased when you put her babies back in the nest with her.

I have a broody BO but she has no eggs because I have no rooster and none that my chickens lay are fertile. I was wondering if she were truly serious about it because I have some fertile eggs in the incubator right now and was considering putting some of the mutt eggs under her just to see if she'd hatch them out. Well yesterday I found out that she was indeed serious about it because I came home from lunch and fed my girls and there she was, sitting on the nest. I took her off the nest and put her down to eat and she went to pecking food like she hadn't eaten in a week! And then she took the biggest poop I've EVER seen a chicken take! I checked on her last night and everyone was roosted but her. She was still on that nest. So I think today I am going to freshen up the straw and block off one of the unused nest areas and give her some eggs. I'll just take her down to eat and poop every day and then put her back. I'll have to mark her somehow though because she's one of a quad of BO's that i have and they're pretty hard to tell apart.

Good cluck on the rest of your hatch! I hope they all pop out peeping!

My broody had a staggered hatch as well and I kept finding the older chicks out on the ground. I tried blocking off the front of the box, but they were jumping on momma and over the blockade. I had to move them and the remaining eggs to the nest directly below. I built up the shavings in front and placed a board there for a ramp. Now they can come and go without getting stranded out. This morning momma and babies were out and about the coop to eat and then back on the nest without my help. She has 10 babies and 7 eggs left.

Isn't is so exciting to watch momma's hatching and taking care of their babies.....they do a great job!!

I started with the broody momma thing last year and it certainly is less stinky than the brooder method! LOL

It's great fun.

Congrats
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I just finished blocking off a temporary section around my broody hens nest so the cool wind won't hit her babies, and to keep them close while she is still sitting on that nest. I don't know for certain how many babies she's got right now but I have seen several so far
love.gif
and while I was at it I put some fresh straw in there and went ahead and put the food and water in also! Now when she's done hatching and ready to leave nest she and her babies will have what they need already there! I am so
wee.gif
as this is a 1st for me!
celebrate.gif

I just recently sold my brahma hen who was also broody. She was competing for this same nest. there were times when they were both crammed into the nest together. I made the deal before she went broody or I probably would have kept her.

Like I said this is my 1st broody hen! She's a little game hen and she is still holding tight in the nest so I know more chicks should be hatching! The 7 silkies in the bator are due today also and still no signs of hatching, I thought about putting them under my hen but with it being daylight she probably won't except them? Anyway I wish they would all get hatched so I could get pics of them....right now momma sure don't want me anywhere near her nest & babies....
So now I just wait!

Back
Top Bottom