1st time with BAD shipped eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelyn, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Darn it! The clean track record is ruined! Out of 24 eggs, 12 started. None will finish. After day 14... nothing but veins.

It seems that a couple weren't fertile, some were scrambled, some air sacs... moved? Never seen that before. You could see the yolk, and then an air bubble moving around inside. Weird.

Dang post office! And then I had a temperature spike (never had one of those either... but it happened when we turned the heat on... so I guess there's a first for everything.) and that effectively took care of the eggs that were able to start.

Alright, searching now for local eggs. No more shipping!

2. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Sorry for your bad results----Because of horror stories like yours I do noy use shipped eggs. I bid on eggs from ebay but that was because the man lived 20 miles away and I could pick them up. I now have 4 local contacts and buy my hatching eggs locally.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Don't let one bad batch ruin it for you! You are certain to have good runs again.

I look at it this way- statistically, you'll be set for successes, having gotten the bad batch out of the way. I've shipped eggs to 4 corners of US and Alaska, and had the worst luck with a box sent next door to Arkansas last week- poor guy had his box go to LA first! [​IMG]

I'll be shipping more if they don't work out- it's not my fault, but I want him to have fluffy butts! It's my job as enabler. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    How many good hatches did you have on shipped eggs before a bad hatch? If you had even 3 good hatches then one bad hatch, then you are having a 75% good record. 9 good hatches means a positive experience 90% of the time. I'd say those stats are pretty good.

Even so, from what I understand, if over a period of time you average 50% hatch on shipped eggs you are doing good. I just set some shipped eggs a few days ago. I've got 15 shipped eggs + 5 of my own in there. I'm hoping for a dozen girls. [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If there are veins in your eggs, that is signs of life. What that tells me is the incubator temps are too low. Did you check your thermometer to make sure it is accurate? If the eggs are no good or quit, you would not have veins.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Don't let one bad batch ruin it for you! You are certain to have good runs again.

I look at it this way- statistically, you'll be set for successes, having gotten the bad batch out of the way. I've shipped eggs to 4 corners of US and Alaska, and had the worst luck with a box sent next door to Arkansas last week- poor guy had his box go to LA first! [​IMG]

I'll be shipping more if they don't work out- it's not my fault, but I want him to have fluffy butts! It's my job as enabler. [​IMG]

Yes- I have 4 beautiful chickens in my coop under lights thanks to her (ChooksChick's) shipped eggs!!! (Gorgeous Golden Lakenvelders)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by