1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st time with chicks and 1st post

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tony&jenn, May 30, 2007.

1. tony&jenn

tony&jenn New Egg

May 30, 2007
    Porter, NC
    Just wanted to say hi. My GF has wanted chicks for a long time so I gave in and got some from MM.

Orded 5 RIR, 5 red star, 5 black star, 5 slvr spangled hamburgs all females and a str run of 6 cuckoo maran. They gave us an extra black star and the free rare chick. They sent them on sunday so I guess they sat all day monday and didn't move, poor things. I was working on tuesday when the PO called but my dad picked them up 5 mins after they called me and brought them to my house for me. 1 was dead.

I think my dad really enjoyed diping them one at a time in the water and watching them eat and drink. I had everthing set up for them.

Anyway I dont know anything about chicks except what I've read about on the net, so Im sure I'll have some questions soon. Pretty much wanted eggers and just picked them out on the site before ording.

I'll get some pics up of them soon. They are so cute! The cutest ones I think are black with little white fuzzy butts, not sure which ones they even are haha

Thanks for reading and Hello all you chick folk!

tony

PS: My GF asked if they ate the shells. "What shells" I asked. The ones they hatched from she says. She thought they mailed eggs and they hatched in the mail. haha

2. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    welcome!!![​IMG].......to the addiction. lol

I'm sure you'll find alot of helpfull info on these forums, I did.

3. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Congrats on the new chicks and welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Congrats on the babies & welcome to BYC. [​IMG]
    Miriam

5. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    WTG on getting started with your own chicks! I've got some of the black-with-fuzzy-white-butt chicks too, and I agree with you, they're absolutely adorable. Post pics when you can!

6. lexrn

lexrn New Egg

May 10, 2007
    why do you dip the chicks in water? Sorry...newbie

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    To teach them where to find the water and get them hydrated.

Edited to say that you don't dip the chicks...just their beaks...in water. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  8. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    You don't actually dip the CHICK in water--you just dip their beak, to give them a drink, so they will learn how to drink and where to get the water.

9. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Congrats on your new chicks...where is Porter, NC?

10. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Have fun with the chickies !

Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by