1st timer. 20 new chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TXmama3boys, Jan 1, 2015.

1. TXmama3boys

TXmama3boys Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are my chicks! They are adorable. The people I got them from pulled these from a straight-run of barred rock/sexlinks. I am dying to figure out sex and breed of them all. I know the spotted head black ones are BR. I have solid black that I am assuming are black sex links and my yellow and brown ones are sex links? I have a light gray one with a yellow undertone. Curious about what that is as well. I know... I will be able to tell soon enough. I am just excited.
    [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    All of these came from barred rock/sexlinks?? If so you got a "Barn Yard Mix". Sure some can look similiar to the Pure Breed, but they are not pure breeds unless they were pure bred. You can not get a true "sex-link" unless you breed the proper breeds to do so. You can not breed a sex-link to a sex-link and get a true "Sex-Link". Maybe I am not right, but I am going by the info I read.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Wook at the wittle babies!!!!!!!! Too cute!

4. TXmama3boys

[​IMG]
    Here is what was advertised. I purchased what was advertised in green.

5. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    The yellow and grey one look like the chicks I get from my Salmon Faverolle. Does the chick have a 5th toe? [​IMG]

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Very cute chicks too. I'm not sure what is meant in the ad; are they all crossbreds, or are some Plymouth Rocks and some sex-links, or are they all mixes? Mary

7. TXmama3boys

No 5th toe :)

8. TXmama3boys

I really have no clue. This is my 1st time, so I just assumed it meant some barred rocks and some sex links.

9. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I think you got some of the two breeds and some crossed, looking at your chick pictures. But they will lay brown eggs. Good Luck!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  10. TXmama3boys

Okay, great! Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by