1st timer advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woody49705, Jun 27, 2008.

1. woody49705

woody49705 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Shelton, Ct.
    hello all it's my first post here but have been visiting for a year. Anyway I have 2 roos and 3 hens--1 being a banty. For the fisrt time I have a hen sitting on her eggs for approx. 2 weeks now. My questions are plentiful so please bear with me. First off should I remove the broody hen from the coop?--reason being the banty has been trying to help lay on the eggs and 1 egg has already been broken. Also I'm wondering if the other 2 hens and the roo's will bother the chicks when born. Another option would be to section off a part of the coop for just mom and babies with an outside run as well. Also when and what do you feed the babies when born. I do have medicated starter feed that I am currently giving to the 7 chicks that were given to me by the local elementary school. The chicks are currently residing on the enclosed front porch and 3 weeks old. Any and all guidance is appreciated-----1 more question--should I have food and water more accessible for the broody hen so she doesn't have to leave the coop and can guard her eggs from the banty?

Thanks
    WOODY

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Welcome! I am new to the board too but not new to chickens! When my hens go broody I usually try to move them and the eggs to a separate pen, because my hens for some reason try to sit on each other nests too and then we end up having eggs that are off on hatching date with no one to sit on them! In my experience it depends on the chicken as to whether they pick on the little ones. We have 3 hens and a roo in one coop and run that pick on each others chicks and the roo can even spot a 1 week old baby roo and attacks them and then I have a 5 year old buff orpington roo in another with 5 mid sized babies which consists of 2 or 3 roos and 2 pullets plus 5 more hens that are about 5 weeks old and non of those in that run of 11 think twice about each other. I have always let my chicks eat the starter food just make sure the waterer is fixed with rocks or marbles so they can't drown, I have had this happen to a baby goose. I have been putting my broody hens food and water close so they can protect their eggs and so they won't have to go so far. Sometimes those hens can be quite attached to sitting and not want to get up even for eating and drinking! Congratulations on the new additions and upcoming ones!!!

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Welcome to the forum! I would put her by herself like you were talking. [​IMG]

4. woody49705

woody49705 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Shelton, Ct.
    I imagine she's not going to be happy to be picked up and moved as she's been very protective more towards myself than my wife. Also should I keep her outdoors or like in garage or on enclosed porch with the 7 chicks?

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    She will ward off some predators but not all, so I would keep her in a place that will be safe. [​IMG]

6. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Yep, I am with Eggseronious. The safer the place the better. Though keep in mind that the broody poop is huge and there is ALOT of it at one time!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by