1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st timer- I think my hatching chicken may need assistance

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by farminals, Nov 20, 2014.

1. farminals

farminals New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Hi, first timer here, recently purchased a incubator and set 24 eggs. However my hen was also sitting on some, 6 out of 7 hatched she left the best leaving one behind which was cold but when I candled it, it was still alive so I put it in the incubator. Problem now is it pipped 24 hours ago with not a lot of progress. I have wrapped the tissue in a damp paper towel as I can't raise my humidity as I'm worries about the other eggs having to high humidity. Not sure what to do and if I should assist it. I'm worried it will shrink wrap. Any advice would be fantastic [​IMG]

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! You many want to re-post your inquiry under the incubating and hatching section of the forum. I believe you will get some assistance there. Sorry, I can't be of any help, but you've come to the right place.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Hi :welcome
    Sorry to hear your having trouble. Upping the humidity for a short period of time should not be a problem for your other eggs. The humidity should be an average over the entire incubation period. Short term changes shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you lower it back to your ideal as soon as possible. If the chick has pipped and not made any progress after a full 24 hours you may have to assist. The above link is great on assisted hatching. It talks you through everything and should be able to point you in the right direction for what to do next with your pipped egg.
    Assisting a chick should be a very last resort if no progress is being made.

Hope all goes well for you and good luck :frow

4. farminals

farminals New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Thankyou. That's a great link! It's eased my anxiousness and I will up humidity and see how it goes. [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry you are having troubles. Some chicks can pip and sit like this for 2 days. So don't panic just yet. During the pipping stage, the chick is busy absorbing the last of the egg yolk and detaching from the inside of the egg. And you don't know what stage the little guy is in. So I would let things alone for now. If your humidity is up around 65% to 70%, and you don't open the lid of the incubator when any egg is pipping, this should be enough to keep the membrane soft enough to zip out and keep the chicks from sticking to the inside of the shell.

Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
    Best of luck to you![​IMG]

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good luck.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck with the hatch!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]- please let us know how things turn out with this guy(?)

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by