1st Timer - question on sexing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Michelley, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Michelley

Michelley New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Hello Everyone!
    I've been lurking for a while now and getting LOTS of useful information. Including but not limited to sexing chicks.
    We purchased 5 Speckled Sussex day old chicks who were all supposed to be hens but we know how that goes... [​IMG] We most definitely have at least one Roo and am suspecting another. Im wondering if you may be able to help me determine if we've got another Roo on our hands. All chicks were labeled with 5/23 hatch date so are aprox 5 weeks old.

The chick in question: " Nugget" was our runt and initially had some suspected riboflavin troubles which have since been resolved. S/he has a smaller tail than all the girls but has white feathers in the tail which you can somewhat see in the below pic also has a mostly white chest as well. Nugget's body does seem to be more elongated like the ladies too though. S/he tends to be the "first explorer" in new environments and hangs around "Yoshi" a lot (99% sure he's a Roo)
    [​IMG]

For comparison here is "Yoshi" who is much smaller than everyone, has a wider/short body, very small tail sticking straight up, white also in tail, super red and large comb / waddles when compared to everyone else.
    [​IMG]

And lastly a pic of everyone hanging out last night. Yoshi and Nugget are next to each other (Yoshi standing tall- Nugget to the right) [​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Yoshi is definitely a cockrel, and Nugget might be too. I'd recommend that you NOT keep any chick as breeding stock who had a health issue. That leaves Yoshi as the keeper, at least for now. I love the SS hens, and have had very mixed results with the roosters. In my experience, they are either very nice, or human aggressive jerks. Hope Yoshi turns out well! Mary

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Yoshi is probably a boy.

Nugget we need to wiat on.

4. Michelley

Michelley New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Thank you for the input!
    Folly's Place, very good point. We don't *plan* on breeding but I hadn't thought about previous health issue with Nugget if s/he is a cockrel. I'm afraid both will likely have to go but maybe nugget will be culled.

Time shall tell!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by