1st timer with broody (18 eggs)!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Jan 26, 2009.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I had a LB go broody, then the next day an BO went broody. Basically kicked the LB out of the nest. I've never seen this before. The BO was so puffed out walking in the coop, mad that the LB was there. Since then the BO will not move from the nest. Question I had was, how do I know she's eating or drinking? I don't want her to be dependent on me giving her food. She's been in the nest since last Wednesday. On Friday I gave her some food, she took it and today I tried to give her some, she just takes very little if any. She's got quite a bit of eggs under her. Actually sometimes other hens go on top of her and try to lay. (That's everyones favorite nest) Don't know if she just takes the eggs and sits on them too. There is so many eggs that she's got eggs coming out of the edges of her body.

How long do they usually sit on these eggs?

I'm thinking to just let nature take it's course.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to assemble some sort of small cage around where she is setting or try to move her to a brood pen so that the other hens can't bother her and add eggs to the nest. She will sit until they hatch hoepfully and that takes 21 days. If the other hens have added eggs after she started setting those will not hatch at the same time as the original eggs and may be abandonded. You can mark the ones under her now and remove the new ones each day that will help you. She will leave the nest and feed on her own when she must. If you build a small pen around her include some water and feed.

3. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    It'll be very difficult to put a cage around the nest. I won't be able to move her to a decent location other than inside our home. It's still cold outside, in the 20s, so it's either in the coop or home.

I did see something unusual or maybe it's common because I'm new, I don't know.

There was a LB with the BO in the same nest today. Could it be that they are helping each other out? She does have lots of eggs under her and the BO didn't seem like she minded. They both were growling when I came around.

4. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything is possible but must likely they both want the same job in same nest. It may work out to just let nature take it's corse. Since your opions are limited you can let them do their thing and see how it goes. If they hissed at you they are definately broody and should set until some chicks hatch. Once they hens have been at it for over 21 days and you have no chicks you may need to remove and discard all the eggs. Then keep collecting them each day until warmer weather so they want set again until you are ready. I would like to know if things work out. Drop me an email when you have results either way. Good luck and take care!

5. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    i wrote it on the calendar and if they stay on it constantly, it should be on my birthday. Do the eggs start to smell if they don't hatch?

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

They can start to weep and stink to high heaven. You can candle at night and just huck the clear ones, but I would wait to at least day 7 to pitch any.

7. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    aw man, I'm gonna be there forever - she's got about 14 eggs under her - and she doesn't leave them at all [​IMG]

8. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    I went out there today and only the BO has been consistently sitting on them. I saw 2 out of the nest with her wing trying to cover them. I went and candled them (well with a flashlight in a dark room - not the best). One I saw small cracks and saw the yolk - the other was a blob staying still. So I put the blob one back and cracked open the other one. [​IMG] it was a baby, I saw the veins after I cracked it and the spot where it started forming. So I decided to get the egg that was on the floor of the coop yesterday that I put in the fridge, was going to boil it but it flipped in the water, I cracked it and it was more formed than the other one. I actually saw the eye [​IMG] I guess she must have some fertilized ones under her. I picked her up and counted and she has 18 eggs under her right now. I feel real bad but I guess I've got to get some better candling stuff before I go cracking. I think eggs have been tossed out because she can't seem to fit them all in. I don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by