1st trip outside - 2 wk old BRs (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjstanman, Aug 30, 2008.

1. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    Well, it's hot and sticky here in central NC. The chicks dumped over their water and it was time to clean out the brooder anyway, ha ha! So I took the dog's crate, turned it upside down so they couldn't escape and let my chicks hang out for an hour or so. (Blue sheet was for shade.) At first they had no clue what the deal was, but then I sprinkled some of their chick food on the grass and they figured it out fast!

[​IMG]

On some, the black and white markings are coming in loud and clear. On a couple others, they are still mostly black. One has a little tuft of tailfeathers that's black and white - cute!

[​IMG]

2. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    oh they're so cute! what are BRs?

3. cjstanman

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    BRs are Barred Rocks. [​IMG]

4. Stella1964

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Ah, I see! Thanks! Are they layers, or meat, or both?

5. cjstanman

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    It's my understanding they are both. I'm a first-timer, so all of this is new to me. I had a friend help me determine an easy breed to start with, and especially one that's hardy for the upcoming winter. I was a little concerned that I was starting too late in the year but these guys seem HUGE for just having them two weeks!

We wanted layers and when that stops, decent meat birds. I think these will be a good choice.

6. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    yes theyre both. its called multi purpose rhode island reds are also multi purpose

7. Stella1964

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Just don't name those cuties because you won't be able to eat them if you give them identities (and human-like qualities)!!!

Spoken from experience [​IMG]

8. cjstanman

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I had to laugh - someone asked me what I had named them, and I answered "stupid chickens," ha ha ha! (That was on a day where they had knocked their water over, twice.) [​IMG]

I can't tell them apart yet, except for one who's mostly black, and the one who is the smallest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by