1st try at hatching - Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by (sub)UrbanCoop, Dec 14, 2012.

1. (sub)UrbanCoop

(sub)UrbanCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    I set my first dozen eggs in an inexpensive, forced air incubator purchased from Ebay.

Received a dozen hatching eggs from a local chicken farm. We met halfway, in the dark (5pm), for the exchange. However, after
    getting home and really inspecting the eggs all but two are quite porous and slightly to moderately dirty.

Please, oh please, let some of them hatch... and be girls.

Break down on the eggs. It was suppose to be 6 Blue Copper Marans and 6 Barred Rock. However, she was getting the Marans from her neighbor and when the time came there was only 1. Also received 5 BR, 2 Buff Orp, and 4 2nd generation Sex Links. Essentially, whatever was available.

I'm a little bummed about the Marans. I guess I could have just passed on the eggs, but my son has been waiting for hatching eggs since the summer. We decided to do the hatch in December since he will be out of school for 3 weeks and can be here to watch the miracle happen. And since this was our first hatch I didn't want to spend a ton of money on eggs until I had a test run and know what to expect.

Keep your fingers cross for us, and say a little prayer.

We'll keep you posted!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Good luck[​IMG]

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    they are local eggs! thats a plus and a great start!! are you doing dry incubation methods?

4. (sub)UrbanCoop

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    Thank you!!!

5. (sub)UrbanCoop

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    The humidity inside the incubator is pretty high on it's own. Any ideas to getting it down?

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by