1week old chicks, can they go in the grass?

kalimist99

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
I have 6 rir's and 2 EE's that are 1week old, so far they have just been in the brooder and they are very active and doing great with just chick starter.

I was thinking about making a 4'x6' run outside in a grassy area for them so they can eat grass and bugs a few hours during the day, would this be ok? i read somewhere if they eat anything but chick starter they need grit?

If it's warm enough where you are, then sure. Watch them carefully that they are not getting chilled. Chilled chicks will huddle together and usually peep loudly.
You'll also want to watch for predators. Little chicks are more vulnerable to predators like the neighborhood stray than adult chickens are.
You'll want them to have some form of chick grit at that point also.

I'm so glad you asked that question! I was thinking of the same thing, the only problem is my chicks aren't vaccinated for Marek's yet. I am waiting for it to come from Jeffer's. Would it be safe to let them out in the yard without a vaccination?

I agree with gritsar. I have taken chicks out to the yard that were less than one week old but stayed with them and when they started to huddle I brought them back inside. I think it helps to develop their immune system to expose them early on.

An easy way to think about it is that you are their momma until they are old enough to go it on their own. So watch and care for them.

Momma hens will take their young out into snow but they can provide them with immedate warmth when they get chilled. That is the key. Provide for them quickly when they need something. THe younger the chicks are the more attention you have to pay to them.

Also predators will go for the smallest first, because they are the easiest, and don't fight back.

Good luck and congratulations on the new chicks.

Quote:
I am by no means an expert on poultry diseases or vaccines, but it's my understanding that if you chose to vaccinate for Marek's it should be done on the first day of life. In fact, Murray McMurray's catalog states: Chicks must be vaccinated as close to the time of hatch as possible for the vaccine to be effective.

Back
Top Bottom