1wk old chicks with mealworms and sand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jspry, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jspry

jspry New Egg

Apr 6, 2011
    Hi...I just got 8 chicks from TSC last week. They are are now 1 week old. I was wondering if I can feed them mealworms now...I have seen several conflicting statements...just wondering the pros and cons. Also....can i use sand that you would use in a sandbox for their grit? Thanks!!

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I got the conflicting answers too when I posted this question. We started feeding our girls dried meal worms at a week old. They love them. We did not however, provide grit, sand, whatever as the instructions on the grit bag said not to give them any until they were 8 weeks old. End result...chicks love the meal worms, they get three each a day and I haven't had any problems.

3. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    I have feed my chicks since 3 days old live meal worms and never had any proublems. I dont give them any grit either.

4. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    I posted this same topic a while back... My chickies are three weeks and one day old and I have been wanting to spoil them! The consensus to my post was to patiently wait as their bellies get stronger. I have, however, started letting them eat oats out of my hands as a treat. I have tried to give them a worm from the garden and they just look at it like what is that! I also tried chard and same thing!

5. h8snags

h8snags Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    I bought sand from the home depot, then hit the pet store for dried mealworms.. I couldn't resist! They were a week old, then I went outside and found bugs and worms... they were in heaven! They are 5 1/2 weeks old now and growing strong! I mix the grit in their food and put some on a plastic lid to eat, scratch, and dust-bathe in! They LOVE it, and have since day one! Have fun! I also fed them raw oats and hard-boiled eggs.. the eggs are by far their favorite! Watching them do the "chicken chase" when you give them a worm is entertainment all of it's own! [​IMG]

6. Jerseyjack

Jerseyjack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:I asked this Q too, a while back, seems most say don't give grit yet. Instead, I dug some garden worms and cut them in 3/4" pieces and the 3 week olds go nuts. The "chicken chase" is definitely fun to watch. They ignore the obvious ones, to steal another chicks treat:lau

7. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    If they were with their mommy hen, wouldn't she have them out scratching right away? I have not witnessed this feat of nature yet, so I have no idea. It seems to me that the answer would be found in what is typically done under natural circumstances. Anyone out there have a hen rearing chicks that can answer this?

8. jspry

jspry New Egg

Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for all your help...chicks are loving their mealworms!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by