1yr Old EE Hen acting Lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by donnavee, Aug 2, 2010.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.

1yr Old EE Hen, probably weighs about 6 1/2 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She is mainly sitting around on the ground, sometimes seems to dose off, not interacting with the other hens. Here tail is down and she is not real alert. I see no discharge from eyes, ears or nose and no labored breathing. I felt her abdomen, but didn't feel any hard object like an egg. However, she didn't seem to like my doing this and jumped out of my arms and then just stood there with her wings down for a while.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Started Sunday evening, 8/1, prior to that she was out scratching around in the woods with the other chickens. She was also fine during snack time in the morning.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    No Clue
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She wouldn't eat anything yesterday evening, but drank water. This morning she seemed a bit more alert and ate a little sunflower seed kernels, some mashed up egg, and drank quite a bit of water.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Her poop is runny with some pale yellow color mixed in with the black. The only other thing I noticed a few days ago is that she pooped a regular looking poop, but the part that would have normally been white was slightly off white, more cream colored, but not exactly yellow.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    No treatment except I did isolate her last night so she slept apart from the flock. When I treated the others this morning she wanted out of her pen, so we let her out, but she showed little interest in the snacks - just drank a little more water. Then she went to a corner of the run and laid down again.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I would prefer to treat myself, but will take to a vet if that is the only option. As of this minute, she seems stable - but obviously not herself.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Total of 13 chickens sleep in an 8x10 enclosed coop with pine shavings on the floor. They sleep on roosts. Then they have a large enclosed run and are allowed to free range a few hours a day.

No other chickens are acting ill.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by